Trying out some custom bamboo rods, interested?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by golfman65, Jan 5, 2012.

1. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

So I've been talking to James, also known as Cane caster on speypages.

James builds grass rods with I believe two or three different tapers..

He asked me if anyone who would be interested in trying some of his rods out would like to meet up near the end of this month..probably on the skagit..to fish and swing some of his boo rods?

If interested post here..

2. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Hell yeah . . . just say when in advance so I can 'negotiate' that time. :)

3. Chris DeLeone

Chris DeLeone Active Member

Media:
    That would be cool - keep us posted on the date

Thanks

4. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    How do they cast an indicator, split shot, and a bead?

5. MDL

MDL We work to become, not to acquire.

Pan, Oh the blasphemy....

I'm in, just let me know where and when. Have been following his builds/posts on SP.

6. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    I am interested. Love to try some Spey grassticks. Jan. 27-29 is a 3-day weekend for me.

Sg

7. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    I'm interested.

Go Sox,
    cds

8. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    I am totally interested. Utterly interested. Really, kind of hungry interested.
    Bob

9. CaneCaster

CaneCaster Member

PanHandle.

Don't know how well they cast a float, lead and bead.... but I do make a nice 9.5' pin taper for chrome ;)

Hi guys.
    Thanx for the interest, it's more than I would have thought and I am looking forward to putting faces to names as it seems that there are alot of speypages regulars on this forum too. Although I was not expecting a post on the WFF site, maybe this will work out cool anyways. I am thinking about the weekend of the 21-22 on the Skagit. I have never been to this river or area before so that will be cool in and of itself. Any good local camping to be had? Close to good water? I am also open to other areas although i think this is pretty central to most, and not too far for me.
    I will be bringing 3 of my rods with me (TroutSpey, Summer Run and Winter Run... these rods will give guys an idea of the different feel between tapers and all tapers can be made in a few different lengths and line wts and still retain the same feel) a few vintage Sharpes rods a Milwards 12' 7wt and a host of lines and reels as well as single hander or 2. For anyone thinking of coming out to meet up, if you have lines.... bring em, can never have 2 many.
    Disclaimer.... this will be a completely UNorganized, informal, shoot the shit, have a beer by the river and talk rods, tailgate B.S. meet and greet kinda thing, Nothing too serious, BYOB. :)

This is something I have wanted to do for a while now, so thanx to Paul and Eric for the jump start.

Any questions feel free to either post them here or email me directly.

Cheers.
    James

J.M. Reid Bamboo Fly Rods
    North Vancouver, BC
    jamesot@telus.net

10. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

Media:
    I'm in James. I can give you a ring about some details for lodging, locations etc. I'll plan on bringing some home brew for the boys!

11. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Media:
    Home Page:
    I totally wasn't paying attention yesterday... I would love to check them out, I'm really interested in the 9.5' pin taper as recently been bit by this bug as well. :)

12. CaneCaster

CaneCaster Member

Ian. Sorry man I don't pin fish so I do not own one of these rods, just built them for local guys in the past. I could bring along a 9' and 8.5' steelhead casting rods that you could slap the pin on just for feel if you like? these 2 rods are heavier and slower than the ones I have made, but it would at least give you an idea if you have never cast a Bamboo pin rod. Do you pin reel down (westcoast) or reel up (english)?

Eric, we'll talk.
    Homebrew? as in brewed by you at your house, or from a U-brew place?

Cheers.
    James

13. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

steelhead park in rockport has camping, right on the water and a great place to try rods and b.s.

Anyone think of anywhere else?

14. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

I am so in!

And I wonder if anyone would be interested in trying an authentic English 15-foot greenheart spey rod? I'm not trying to steal James' thunder. It's not for sale, and probably too heavy for practicality. But as long as we're expanding our experience with rods of natural materials...

15. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Being we now know the Skagit will close for sure at the end of the month perhaps we can call this a small gathering in honor of a few of our sport's departed luminaries. Just a suggestion, perhaps on the 29th.

I just read all of the posts here and see the dates of 21 & 22 suggested. Works for me.

16. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

Media:
    That is exactly where I was thinking Paul.

James,

Yes, home brewed at my house. Currently have a high gravity IPA and chocolate milk stout on tap.

17. JS

JS Active Member

Media:
    I am really interested as well. I have actually been thinking about undertaking my first cane build. I am just collecting the tools currently, but would love to toss some of his tapers and pick his brain.

18. CaneCaster

CaneCaster Member

Nooksack... That is a sweet idea, I would love to have a go on that stick. Just for shits and giggles we can compare it with a Sharpes 15'er i will have with me. Oh yeah.... someone bring a 10/11 wt mid/long belly too :)

Eric and Paul.. that sounds about right. best part of winter camping.... No FireBan! And some good homebrew by the fireside is so what my soul is in need of right about now.... Stout and a big Hoptacular IPA should sort that out nicely!

J.S... for sure come out and have a cast/chat/brain pick (although picking my brain can be very similar to picking the last of the christmas turkey off the carcass :). I might suggest starting with some smaller single hand rods for your first few rods tho to get the basics down before trying to work the large diameter, unruley strips used for making spey rods from. Just a thought.

19. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

I'll bring the lines, too. Just don't schedule it opposite the Super Bowl!

20. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Steelhead park at Rockport should be perfect. Any interest in reserving one of the Adirondack huts? I think there's 8 bunks; we can hang a couple tarps in front to ward off the chill, and a fire near the picnic table. How about potluck chilli or stew for dinner? Not many restaurants left around Rockport.

Sg