Trying out some custom bamboo rods, interested?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by golfman65, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Scott. It will be my first time to the "Skagit" river... so i can only assume that I will be throwing an appropriate short heavy head, long heavy sink tip, short leader and huge weighted fly! Even if the water is low and clear ;).... kinda just gotta be done.
    Bourbon? don't you guys down there make that stuff out of corn or somethin? :)

Nooksack.... Right on.
    Charles.... Right on.

2. I'll be there on Saturday. No accomodations needed for me. I'll bring a full flask and some extra reels and lines just in case. :)

Cheers,

Brian

3. Thanks guys, that's what I figured I just thought I would check.

So James, do you have any beverage requests??...haha

4. Ok, I'll bring the dogs, buns, chips...I don't have a working small bar b q....but I think there is one there? If you can heat water I can bring some starbucks instant..I love that shit!! Salmo if you need me to chip in on your digs, though not staying let me know?

James, this is your gig..I can bring my clay...but I'm not sure I'm as applicable on letting others use it? lol...If not that's understandable too...let me know!!!

Don't sweat bringing stuff across...I do it all the time as I'm up there more then down here...just don't bring meats...you can most but that's where the hassle starts with them yahoo's...

P.s. I would like to come up...meet and yak, try the trout and summer spey...maybe grab some grub..and probably hit some other water...James hasn't seen or fished the skagit so it would be nice to show him so water around there...Maybe hang a shingle and be back in a couple hours? It doesn't have to be me but the powerlines are close or chapel..he could see the difference between the upper, then down to concrete or over to the sauk to see the difference...
    Maybe if Kerry is so inclined he could blast him somewhere close?
    Just thinking he shouldn't have to get stuck at rockport all day or two and not get a chance to see other spots..

5. Gman,

No worries on adirondack rental, just wanting those who crash there to chip in.

For casting, I assume we'll just line up on the Rockport gravel bar. It's still there these days, isn't it?

Is this gonna' involve fishing as well? I wasn't going to drag my boat up, but I could. As for upper river walk in, there's Chapel, powerlines, Swift Ck, and a trail leads from the campground down to the famous Sauk Bar, 45 min. walk as I recall (never actually done it from that end). Then there's the whole middle river if it's in shape.

I'll whip up some chilli (not too spicy) for dinner and bring bacon and eggs for breakfast, something to get a boy off to school. It is January, so some refined spirits may be in the larder as well.

Sg

6. Fishing/casting at the park is still doable. I am not sure about the trail to Sauk Bar from the park. Last time I was up that way in the boat it looked as if a good portion of that trail had been washed away. I haven't actually walk it in many years though so I could be wrong. The trail from Sauk Store/Connection Road to the bar is still there and usable.

7. Golfman. That starbucks instant saved my ass bigtime on a 7 day I hike I did this summer with the wife. As far as bringing your Clay rod goes.... Please bring it. I know that other's there would love to have a cast with it myself included. It will be good to have more bamboo around anyway. As I said before, Bob and I are friends and he makes a great stick! Also I would love the chance also to cast some of the nicer graphite rods that guys might have in their quivers. That would be pretty cool.
    Thanx for the thoughts on me doing some fishing too..... I wouldn't sweat it.... I actually am incapable of not fishing! I'm sure everyone will fish some. I suppose I should take this oppertunity to remind everyone that this is a completely informal gathering of fishermen with no set adgenda, arrive when you like, leave when you like, there is no schedule.

SG. Chili and eggs and bacon sound badass. I got the bread/buns and cheese.

Scott. I'll gladly give you $30 to spend on some good Oregon microbrews :)
    I love that stuff. IPA's please and thank-you!

Head Count
    Canecaster
    Golfman (No Accomadations needed)
    Sg
    Eric Tarcha
    Sctarrant

Chris DeLeone ?
    Kerry S (No Accom. needed)
    DoubleSpey (No Accom. needed)

JS ?
    M D L ?
    Nooksack Mac (No Accom. needed)
    Charles Sullivan (No Accom needed)

Spey Spaz ?
    Ian Brodie ? (if you want to cast a few cane rods with your pin let me know, and bring your pin and accesories)

Anyone who is wanting to have a spot to camp/sleep please speak up.

Cheers.
    J.

8. James,
    No worries....IPA's are my beer of choice. I'll try to bring an assortment of my fav's.

I'm looking forward to this get together. I haven't had much opportunity to get on the water that last couple months so this will be a welcome escape and a chance to learn from a new group of enthusiasts.

Cheers,
    Scott

9. James, I pretty sure my bud will come as well..you met him in the parking lot on the seymour..
    We'll also cover the cigars..:)

10. Cigars and IPA? Awesome!
    Golfman. Sounds good. I am actually headed there in about an hour to test out 2 new lines.
    J.

11. Hey guys, if ya'll don't mind a new guy jumping in, I'd love to join and meet some folks and watch some casting. Can't think of a better way to get introduced to it all.

I'm going to try and get a reel for my new spey rod by then, but if not, I'm cool just hanging out, seeing the river, maybe taking some photos/video with my new camera (weather permitting).

Will folks be staying most of the day Sunday, or heading out early? I can't leave Seattle until around noon on Saturday, so, may be better to just come up Sunday. Is there any space left in the adirondacks for Saturday night?

I wish I had all my camp cooking stuff unpacked... I can bring a few growlers from Fremont Brewing and Hilliard's Brewery in Ballard, and some 6-packs, and then chip in cash for the food if that's okay?

12. FlyinFish.
    You are more than welcome to come out. i bet you could get some reasonably good, free casting instruction from this group of guys too. Bring your rod with you, i am sure someone will have a reel and line that will suit it.
    There is space in the Adirondack on sat night, Growlers are goodness.

James

13. Cool, thanks, James. Put me down for a spot in the adirondack Sat night. How 'bout a bottle of Yukon Jack? My buddy from Guelph used to love that stuff. Lookin' forward to meeting some folks and seeing some water.

14. Looks like there's plenty of room in the Adirondack. It has eight bunks.

What do we have for a rough head count for dinner Saturday and breakfast Sunday? (Disclaimer: I"m a really bad planner.) I got my skillet chilli made, double recipe. This is not like your usual canned chilli; ya' scoop it onto a bed of rice (made that too - mixed wild and brown). It's got some black beans in it too. If someone were to bring some cornbread, that would really hit the spot. I think I've got some extra paper plates and plastic tableware in the basement in case we need that.

I'll bring some newspaper and cedar kindling, but since I'm not driving a truck I hope we can find dry campfire wood for sale nearby. Gotta' have a fire Sat. night. Looks like beer and ardent spirits are covered.

What else do we need?

Sg

15. SG.
    I would say at this point we are prob around 8-10 heads for both breaky and dinner. Maybe bring your paper plates and untensils just in case. Fire for sure both Friday and Sat nights. Anywhere where firewood can be scavenged in the area? or is it just a pay for fire kinda joint?

Maybe those who are gonna have breaky/lunch/dinner could pipe-up? PM maybe?

Head Count
    Canecaster
    Golfman (No Accomadations needed)
    Sg
    Eric Tarcha
    Sctarrant

Chris DeLeone ?
    Kerry S (No Accom. needed)
    DoubleSpey (No Accom. needed)

JS ?
    M D L (No Accom needed)
    Nooksack Mac (No Accom. needed)
    Charles Sullivan (No Accom needed)

Spey Spaz ?
    Ian Brodie ? (if you want to cast a few cane rods with your pin let me know, and bring your pin and accesories)
    Golfman's Buddy
    FlyinFish (Adirondack bunk)

Anyone who is wanting to have a spot to camp/sleep there is pleanty of bunks available in the Adirondack for a very reasonable cost. Bring a sleeping bag tho.

Cheers.
    J.[/QUOTE]

16. I'm still in although for Sat only. Guess I should have paid attention to this thread sounds it's going to be a good time. If you wanted to try out some smaller spey graphite I could bring an ACR 11' 7" 3 wt, Meiser 12' 6" 456 and a scott fiberhammer 7wt fiberglass switch. I think the heavier weight rods would be covered. Let me know. James thanks for getting back to me on Spey Pages and answering my questions about a build. Looking forward to meeting you and everyone.
    Tight Lines...
    Mike

17. Mike.

No worries, looking forward to meeting you and everyone else as well! Sould be a great couple of days.
    Sure bring out them lightweight sticks, that would be great.

J.

18. Seems there are some concerns about the coming weather for the weekend, lots of rain (what else is new) over the accumulated snow from this week.... good chance of the river getting Blown (I have no idea how this river deals with water level changes??).I will still be coming out rain/shine/rivers blown out, brown and blowing chunks.

Link to the current weather forecast below. FYI :)

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/uswa1012

19. The damns on the Skagit keep things clear above the Sauk confluence unless it's a real gully washer. HM Steelhead Park is about a mile above the confluence.

Given the impending early closure, I'm guessing lots of folks will be there 'rain or shine'

20. Hey thanx for the info Marcel. i didn't know how far up the system the camp was located, or how many tribs were above.
    Cheers.
    J.