Trying out some custom bamboo rods, interested?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by golfman65, Jan 5, 2012.

1. sctarrant New Member

Portland, OR
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    James,
    I'm still planning to head up as well....despite "Winter storm 2012".... I do keep hearing about the impending closure of the river though....has a date been set? I just wanted to make sure we were still within the acceptable window.

Looking forward to it!!

Thanks,
    Scott
  2. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,747 / 0
    Two main tribs above Rockport that may have an affect on camp water. The largest is the Cascade River and the second would be Bacon Creek. These two tribs could blow the river down to Rockport but I think we would need more rain and higher temps for that to happen. Still it is advisible to watch the gauges; http://wa.water.usgs.gov/cgi/realtime.data.cgi?basin=skagit
  3. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,615 / 0
    Kerry,

Is there a place we can get some camp firewood nearby?

Sg
  4. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Steve,

The last time I drove up that way which was a week or two ago, I seem to remember a couple of different signs selling wood. I wish I had better information but it is not something I was looking for. I am fairly sure I saw them though so keep you eyes open along the way.
  5. Eric Tarcha gear whore

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +12 / 0
  6. sctarrant New Member

Portland, OR
    OH SNAP!!

Eric,

Where is that in relation to the Park?

Scott
  7. Eric Tarcha gear whore

Seattle, WA
    it was no fun doing a 360 with the drifty in tow at 5 AM on I-5 North. Thank god no one else was as stupid as us to be out at that time in those conditions and we were able to get straightened out and moving before we saw any other traffic coming our way.
  8. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    I believe that is the park.

10 inches of snow at my place now which means they got every inch of that and likely plenty more in Rockport.
  9. Eric Tarcha gear whore

Seattle, WA
    yep, right at HMSH park. Floated down to Fabers and didn't see another soul on the river. it was great.
  10. CaneCaster Member

North Vancouver, BC
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    OK then.... looks like you guys got way more snow than we did up here. i think we will have to make a call, weather depending on thrusday night/friday morning.
    KerryS. Since you are pretty dam local to the area would you mind PM'ing me with your number and I will give ya a call Thursday/friday to see about conditions?

Eric.... wholly shit.
  11. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Do we want a contingency plan for the following weekend - Jan. 28-29 - if this weekend is a snow-out/wash-out?
  12. golfman65 Guest

Ratings: +5 / 0
    holy shit eric...I was there on sat. and there was nothing at rockport...some snow falling but not like up in other spots...fished lower down till 3 and left and it was sunny on the way down...guess sat. was the better day...even broke the spring on my pre war on a hot fish..
  13. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    I picked up another 3 or 4 inches this morning in the hills north of Sedro. I would again guess Rockport received as much and likely more. Temps are now a blamy 22 degrees. Rising from 17 earlier this morning. Slight north wind blowing. If the north wind picks up it will get down right cold around here quick.
  14. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +109 / 0
    According to the Weather Channel website, nearby Concrete got an inch of snow each today and yesterday - a lot less than Bellingham. Thursday and Friday are forecast around 40 degrees and rainy. That may reduce what snow is on the ground.

Personally, I'd favor postponing it for a week. Jan. 29 and 30 are the lull before the Super Bowl on Feb. 5. But I don't know if there's a weather forecast for Concrete that far out.
  15. golfman65 Guest

Ratings: +5 / 0
    I agree with you Wayne...

Think Kerry can make the call and hopefully we can get the cabins/huts the following week...
  16. Chris DeLeone Active Member

Monroe, WA
    Ratings: +90 / 0
    I called Grace Haven Cabins last night and they have just over a foot of snow, they are just above Rockport.
  17. sctarrant New Member

Portland, OR
    I'm afraid I already have a commitment for the following weekend and won't be able to make it. As it stands I've already got a 5 hr trip in good weather. So I'm hesitant to make the treck this weekend only to find a foot or more of snow. I've already got 1 night paid for the cabin and will have to give Rusty a call to cancel. Let me know if something else changes.

Thanks,
    Scott
  18. FlyinFish Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +77 / 0
    I'd be down with next weekend, and wouldn't mind covering the cost of any cancellation fees or whatever in my share of the adirondack. But I'm just a tag along, so whatever you guys decide...
  19. CaneCaster Member

North Vancouver, BC
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Guys.

I am out for the following weekend as I am commited to other things.

How as the "big snow event" for you guys down there today? it was nothing really up here....1" tops.

Looking at current weather and forecasts I would be willing to bet that by midday friday.... there will be no snow left and back to rain as per usual....

Weather forecasts.
    http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/uswa1012
    http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/

Please let me know by tomorrow night (thursday) if you are still interested in meeting up as planned. I will need to pack up gear thursday night so I can be at the passport office by 7:30 am friday in downtown Vancouver.
  20. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    OK, it looks like it's either this weekend or no go for James and Scott. Since Scott is driving the farthest as far as I know, I'll drive up if it's doable. Roads around Oly were marginally functional today and aren't expected to improve tomorrow. However just as soon as the warm rain hits, all the roads should be OK. But the river will go out - at some point.

I won't cancel the Adirondack for Friday since I won't be out much and would've needed to cancel today to get both nights refunded. I'll cancel it for Saturday only if we call it off. Nothing like last minute planning. Which is kinda' how I roll anyway.

Sg