Tube flies

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Curtis, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Curtis New Member

Bothell
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    First off I do not know how to tie flies. Ok, with that said I am wondering if tube flies, for the sound, can be purchased in any fly shops? Or do I just need to stick with clousers and the like. Thank you in advance. It seems like being able to change hooks would be worth it.
    Curtis
  2. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +680 / 5
    Hmmmmm

Been awhile since I've been in a flyshop, but last time I was I never saw any tubes pretied.

We've been using tubes for years actually. But funny thing, they were used for trolling in the sound. They are very easy to tie, and the adapters for your vise are inexpensive (unless you want the REALLY nice vises).
  3. Curtis New Member

Bothell
    I have not seen them in person, but aer they similar to hoochies? Not the women but what gear fishermen use.
  4. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +680 / 5
    Coho flies

are what we used mostly. And we put them on tubes for the reason you stated. Hooks. Some hits while trolling (especially when you'd get hit by a king) did a number to some of the hooks. So was easier to replace the hook then toss out the fly. Mostly we used the cohos (bucktail, usually green on top, white on bottom, but tons of variations worked over the years). Also, candlefish patterns work too. Usually mylar tubing tied long, or long Krystal Flash that'll wave the same way they swim.
  5. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    Hey young and eager. You can tie just about any fly you want on a tube. Instead of the hook, just tie it right on the tube. There are tubes of different thicknesses available, but you'd have a hard time tying nymphs other than stones, unless you like really obese nymphs. Good for chubby chasin' trout.

There are some problems. On streamers you are more likely to foul the hook, or have the tail wrap around the hook on the cast. This is due to the position of the hook vs where the wing is tied in. It is especially a problem when the wind is howling. Luckily that never happens on the beaches around here... Yeah. There are countermeasures, you can for instance turn the hook up like a clouser and bury it in the wing, but I usually switch to a bendback or surf candy when the fouling gets to me. I love tube style streamer and steelhead flies. The king county library system has "tube flies" by Les Johnson aka searun. Check it out.
  6. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Hey Young and Eager,

I was at Creekside Anglers in Issaquah earlier this week, looking at tube fly materials and they have many segmented bodies tied up and ready to use. Don't remember the prices, but a quick call would solve that problem. I'm sure there are other shops that have them or would be willing to tie them up for you.

Good luck!
    Flybill aka Bill Z!
  7. Curtis New Member

Bothell
    Anyone know about down in the south sound?
  8. Mike Colagrossi Whammo!

Sammamish, WA, USA.
    I think that Anil and Puget Sound Fly fishers might sell them there in Kent, Ibn get's most of his stuff there and those guys do a lot of salt water fishing so I would push my chips in that direction.

Mike
  9. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Hey Young and Eager,

I was at Creekside Angling in Issaquah earlier this week, looking at tube fly materials and they have many segmented bodies tied up and ready to use. Don't remember the prices, but a quick call would solve that problem. I'm sure there are other shops that have them or would be willing to tie them up for you.

Good luck!
    Flybill aka Bill Z!
  10. Anil Active Member

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +210 / 6
    We have some saltwater tubes if you are still looking. If you tie flies, we will be happy to show you a few patterns to try as well.
    Anil
    www.pugetsoundflyco.com
  11. Curtis New Member

Bothell
    Thanks Guys!