Tube Fly Hooks

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Ringlee, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I have been tying some big flies lately on some tubes and was wondering on a hook recomendation. I need something similar to a siwash hook to be out of the materials. Dont want to use a siwash because of the eye. Any suggestions?
    Sorry I put this one in the patterns by accident!
    Chris

2. halcyon

halcyon Hallelujah, I'm a Bum!!!

Media:
    I prefer the Partridge MM3ST - NORDIC SINGLE TUBE HOOK and CS14T/1B,S,G - TUBE SINGLE BLACK, GOLD AND SILVER, the CS14T/2B,S,G - TUBE DOUBLE BLACK, GOLD AND SILVER, X4B,S,G - SALAR TUBE TREBLE BLACK, GOLD AND SILVER and X3 BL - PARTRIDGE NEEDLE EYE, TUBE FLY TREBLE HOOKS: and Loop also makes an excellent tube fly single hook.

Regards

3. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

For saltwater I use Gamakatsu SC-15s from size 6 through 3/0. I also rig the SC-15 with a Gamakatsu barbless baithook as a stinger for bucktailing. It is simple to build singer hook rigs in a variety of sizes and they are easy to switch.
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson

4. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I agree with Les, the SC15's are a great hook for the sound/salt. Out at Neah Bay I usually switch up to a heaver gauge wire, the SL12S, I've bent a couple SC15's out on lingcod. I'll use the gamakatsu finesse wide gaps if I'm feeling saucy.

5. Ringlee

Media:
    I have used the SC15's for saltwater tubes and really like them. I should have been more specific that these flies are big steelhead tubes. I talked to Rob Zelk and he told me that he uses Stingers on his flies when we were fishing together. I believe the number is B10S. I do like the finesse wide gaps as well.
    Chris

6. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
    The B10S is an excellent choice for Steelhead. It is very similar to an SC-15 but has a slightly longer shank and a nickel black finish. A hook that I prefer is the Finess Wide Gap: Very similar to an Octopus, but with a straighter eye and an in-line point.
    Anil
    www.pugetsoundflyco.com

7. Ringlee

Media:
    I usually use the Finesse wide gap on tube flies. On these Flies I need the hook to have a longer shank.

8. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    Gamakatsu Octopus in sizes 2 and 4. I would add that I've just started fishing tubes this year, so I really don't know squat:) They seem to work well, though.

9. Big K1

Big K1 Large Member

Media:
    Partridge Nordic singles for me.

10. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

In larger sizes I use the SC-15H, which is stouter than the standard SC-15. However, I have always tied my wife, Carol's saltwater flies on size 2 and 1 SC-15s and armed her tube flies with them. Using these hooks she has landed coho salmon in the salt, big black skipjacks and dorado over 30-pounds with straightening a hook. Using a 3/0 SC-15 H I landed a sailfish of about 80 pounds and a blue marlin a bit over a 100 pounds. For offshore coho and larger beasts I'd always recommend the SC-15H, or the Trey Combs Big Game hook, which is also excellent and works well with tubes.
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson