Tube Fly patterns

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Randy Diefert, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Randy Diefert

Randy Diefert aka: Longears

Does anyone have some Tube Fly Patterns for Black Sea Bass? We're headed to Neah Bay on the 18th and I thought it would be fun to give it a shot. Thanks, Randy

2. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Baitfish patterns are the way to go, check out http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/1878/password//sort/1/cat/537/page/2 for an example of a tube baitfish. You might try calling Puget Sound Fly Co, I know Anil is pretty knowledgeable about fishing that area, specificly for rockfish, and he's a super cool guy to talk to.

Good luck, I was supposed to be out there this weekend to do the same thing, but sadly my new outboard has not arrived so it's back to the Yak. :)

-I

3. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

My original tube for black rockfish was a 4-inch length of 1/8" I.D. plastic pressure gauge tubing covered with silver mylar piping that is tied down at both ends I then used white Fishair for the wings (on two sides, opposed), trailing the length of the tube. Just string it on your leader, tie on a Gamakatsu Octopus hook and go for it. If they are on top aroun Neah Bay a floating line will do the job. Otherwise a sinking head is better.
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson

4. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    It doesnt have to be anything fansy for them. just get it in their face and they will hammer it. Les' fly sounds like something similar to what I use. I just usually have quite a bit of angel hair or crystal flash on my flies so the salmon take them too.

5. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

"Tube Flies" the book I co-authored with Mark Mandell is being reprinted at this time. It has a ton of good patterns from people worldwide. If you are really interested in all the technqiues, you'll find them in the book.

Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson

6. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
    I'll second the liberal use of flash materials.
    Rockfish are notoriously easy to catch, yet I have found them to be more selective than salmon at times. Have a selection of 'quick ties' and some stuff that more acurately imitates baitfish for those times when you may need it.
    The other quick tips I would offer would be to move frequently until you find fish and to use a slower retrieve than you might for silvers.
    Finally (this is kind of a pet cause for me), Rockfish numbers are high and limits at Neah Bay reflect this ( 10 fish), but limit your harvest to practical numbers. These are slow growing fish and I certainly don't mind that they are found in abundance. There used to be an abundance of Rockfish in the Puget Sound as well!
    Anil
    www.pugetsoundflyco.com

7. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
    I forgot the best part of using tubes for Rockfish: weedless hooks! Tie your tubes as complicated, artistic and time consuming as you like. (They will be great for Salmon, or any other fish that eats similar sized bait.) Next, tie some of your bare hooks up with monofilament weedguards (like a freshwater bass pattern). This way you aren't limited by the size or style of hook. With a weedguard you can cast with confidence right into the kelp, and later change to a regular hook and fish the open water for Silvers or free-swiming Rockfish.
    I have used the exact same tube for Salmon, Rockfish,and Lingcod at Neah bay then later for Bonita and Dorado in Mexico.
    If you have any questions about this feel free to e-mail me or call.
    Anil
    www.pugetsoundflyco.com
    253-839-4119

8. clockwork

clockwork New Member

i've been wondering: what is the advantage of tube flies. i don't exactly understand what the purpose of it is. is it that it gives a unique appearance different than conventional flies, are they more durable or more convenient?

Anil, good call on the rockfish limit comment. there are alot of rockfish up there but i think 10 is way too high given how even a novice can go up there and limit out. the area gets so much pressure i don't see how they can sustain in there and i predict that the area will fall victim to WDFW policy of excessive limits, 10 on one side of the river 1 on the other?! as i recall a 10 fish limit didn't work in the other 10(?) areas, why do they expect different out of the 2 or 3 remaining?

but there are few fish more fun to catch then sea bass for my money. ive caught salmon up there like crazy but one of my fondest memories was fishing the kelp from a skiff casting to a sea bass feeding frenzy. it was a totally unique sight for me to watch the water just boil and seeing sea bass up to 5lbs or maybe more leaping out of the water and splashing around. they are really apept at corralling those candlefish too. -ryan

9. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
    There are quite a few good reasons to tie on tubes, particularly for Baitfish patterns in the salt.
    1. The tube can be any length that you need. Longer than even the longest of 'long shanks.'
    2. The hook is not 'married' to the fly. There are many examples of how this is helpful.
    a. If the hook rusts, the fly is undamaged
    b. You can use a heavy gauge hook (tuna) or light wire for bass and Salmon or even a freshwater hook, (all on the same fly). Or a small hook if you are worried about injuring smaller fish.
    c. An extremely short shank hook can be used on a 4" or longer tube. A short shank hook will hold a fish much more effectively than a long shank.
    3. Tube flies tend to be very durable because they usually slide up the leader (away from teeth) when a fish is hooked. For me this means that I can invest time in a fly without worrying if it is worth the trouble.
    4. They can be 'stacked' together. This means that you could put a popper head on a tube in front of another tube or a fly tied on a hook, and have an instant popper. Want to fish this same fly deeper? Simply remover the popper from the front and start fishing again.
    If you hadn't noticed I really like tying and fishing tubes.
    Anil
    www.pugetsoundflyco.com

10. Randy Diefert

Randy Diefert aka: Longears

Wow Thanks for all of the great responses Guys! I appreciate them. I've got to get busy Tying now.
    BYW, Tuesday May 12th The Whidbey Island Fly Fishing Club Is having a Meeting and We are going to be talking/ Picture show of a recent trip to Belize on a Tarpon Trip.
    And Showing a Video and Tying Demo useing Liquid Lace. It is a new product from Canada Distributed by Unique Fishing Products. Ed was at Bellevue this past year demoing it. Want any more info? E-mail me.
    Thanks Again, Randy