tube fly starter kit??

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by sandspanker, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
  2. kimosabe

kimosabe Member

hi Philster, thanks for the URL link. I clicked on that and it just took me to the NAPA website.
    When I did a search, there were a bunch of air brake tubing but no sizes were specified??

I guess I will have to the local NAPA and asked for 1/8" OD tubing?

Thanks again for the info.

3. Spey Dog

Spey Dog New Member

I got both Renzetti and HMH tube vises and they are both fantastic vises. Tubes for streamers are the to go from now on. I dont use streamer hooks anymore since I found the hook up rates being awesome compared to long shanked hook. Cheaper in the long to and you can get circle/egg hooks anywhere. You wont regret it.

4. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Weird. I guess with my cookies it takes me right to the product? Search Part number BK 7701540 for the clear nylon but it does have writing printed on it. if you want black, search air line tubing 1/8" on the internet. You won't find it online at NAPA, but I've just walked into large scale auto parts and walked out with it. There are some folks who really love nylaflow tubing, and you can search for that online, it comes in different sizes and can come out to be cheaper by the foot, but the way the balkamp stuff works is it gets delivered to your local NAPA so you don't pay shipping.

5. Spey Dog

Spey Dog New Member

Any shop that does work on diesel semi trucks will have plenty of air brake tubing.

6. kimosabe

kimosabe Member

thanks Philster!!!

7. eric.carlson

eric.carlson New Member

McMaster-Carr has just about any kind of tubing you can imagine: nylon, teflon, PVC, rubber, stainless, brass, and aluminum - among others. 1/8 in. OD nylon tubing is <a href="http://www.mcmaster.com/param/asp/PSearch2.asp?reqTyp=parametric&act=psearch&DisplayType=Param&FAM=tubing&FT_FT_3498=168547&FT_138=154264&FT_3916=169105&FT_3915=169148&session=desc=Nylon%20Tubing;tubing,FT_3498=168547;138=154264;3916=169105;3915=169148&ScreenWidth=1280&McMMainWidth=891#ItemsTable"> $0.16 to $0.25 per foot </a> depending on color and hardness.

8. Spey Dog

Spey Dog New Member

I buy my brass, copper and aluminum tubing 3/16" and 1/8" from SmallParts.com. They been great but I am always on the look out for other places tho. Get a hobby miter box and saw to cut to length the tubings. The thing that I havent found a cheap source of is micro plastic tubing used for liner in 3/16" tubes which I still have to order and pay dearly for from HMH.

9. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Before the tube fly "kits" hit the market, I used a Thompson "A" vise and a short length of metal coat hanger to hold the tube. It works like a champ and will save you some money if you find you don't like the flies you're tying. I have a roll of the black air line mentioned earlier. I put a needle in it, put it in boiling water for a few seconds to limber it up and then into cold water to set it. It comes out pretty straight that way. Just a thought.

10. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

When you're really ready to dive in: http://tubefly.blogspot.com/

As an aside, all the equipment (custom made reels, etc) you'll find here are top drawer stuff.

11. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    I just run it through my fingers a few times, slide it on whatever holder I'm using, and tie. By the time it comes off the needle it's almost straight. By the time I pull it out of the fly box, it's even more so.

12. Ben Guss

Ben Guss Member

not to highjack the thread but, for small Sea Run tube flys would the 1/8 in. OD work ok? Thanks for the help!

13. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    smaller is better for little shock and awe and shrimpy style things, but for decent sized, 3.5 inch or longer flies, 1/8" works fine. Don't think in terms of the tube when choosing what tube to use (I know, makes a lot of sense). Think in terms of the hook you want to use with the fly, and the junction tubing. For size 10 through 6, you're better off with a smaller tube in my experience. In fact, too small of a hook with a hard tube like the hard HMH "bulk" saltwater tubing can actually lead to cracking of the back of the tube.

14. madmike98

madmike98 Member

Media:
    So if i wanted to use a #4-#1 hook what size tubing would be best. I really want to try tube flies but there are too many options and brands and info i cant figure out what to buy.

15. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

Canadiantubefly.com is another good resource

16. Rick LaRiviere

Rick LaRiviere Active Member

My vote goes to Pro Tubes. Been using that system for a good while now and find that it works best for me.

17. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

'Long time ago, when tube flies were just starting to catch on, I cut and tapered with a file, a piece of coat hanger. It fit well in the vise and was adjustable for length. I've since gotten a couple of set-ups from different companies. I use the HMH most often.