Tube Intruder Help.... Please

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Jeff Dodd, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Kerfwappie Member

Poulsbo, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I dig that tube tying vise. Is that drill chuck? In the video.
  2. Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Twin Bridges, MT
    Ratings: +19 / 0
  3. g_smolt Recreational User

58°19'59 N, 134°29'49 W
    Ratings: +160 / 0
    One of the problems that I have encountered when fishing dorsal/ventral tube flies (think Howell's intruder) is the tendency for the fly to ride on its side, regardless of the weight of the eyes or tube. I have to believe that this is a function of the longitudinal center of gravity of the fly, and the fact that the pull comes from so close to said center. This isn't a problem with up-eyed shanks, especially if they are rigged with junction tubing; the line pull comes from a comparatively distant point above the center of gravity, thus making the fly ride "right".

As far as intruder construction goes, it is helpful to remember that the end-goal of the tie is to create a large silhouette with very sparse application of materials, and to achieve the ever-tantalizing "pulse" that seems to be the hallmark of the genre. To this end, pick materials that fit the bill: Arctic fox, rhea, amherst centers, ostrich herl tips...the list goes on, but all of the materials used should have an inherent "stiffness" that prevents their collapse when they are swung, but allows for movement.

When it comes right down to it, any of the flies posted can and will catch fish, but with a little more more attention to materials, a fella can wind up with a much bigger profile with a whole lot less material.

This is my version on HMH microtube...
    From the back, forward - lite-brite butt, arctic fox in a dubbing loop as a flaring mechanism for the rhea and amherst hackle. Black wool dubbing with an orange counter-wrap for contrast, then another arctic fox / rhea / amherst hackle. Flashabou in the round for a little bit of sparkle, then a rabbit dubbing loop over dazl-eyes for a big, bulky head that makes a backwash big enough to wiggle the fly.
    [IMG]
  4. Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Yakima, WA.
    Ratings: +130 / 0
    g_smolt - Do you split the Amherst stem and wrap or do you place bundles of Amherst clipped off the stem?
  5. g_smolt Recreational User

58°19'59 N, 134°29'49 W
    Ratings: +160 / 0
    Neither.

The amherst goes into a dubbing loop with the rhea.
  6. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,355 / 9
    g_smolt, awesome fly, thanks for the explanation too. I'm going to try to tie some of those.
  7. Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Yakima, WA.
    Trying some ideas from g_smolt and from http://www.salmonflies.net/fly574.html UV pearl ice dub butt, rear hackle pink Amherst and purple arctic fox in a dubbing loop, purple cactus chenille body, some black deer hair spun and clipped to a small muddler head, another dubbing loop on Amherst and arctic fox, some throat feathers from a white heron for feelers and a purple cactus chenille head over barbell eyes. On a plastic tube.

[IMG]
  8. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +349 / 0
    Nice fly Paul. With the tube attachment off I tied green butt skunk yesterday. However I was in the "City" over the weekend and made it to a fly shop. I now have amherst and Rhea along with an actual dubbing-loop spinning tool to replace the dentist pick I've been using. Looking to tie more intruders this week.
  9. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    Such a nice production! Fantastic. I would add just a little bit of Intruder philosophy. Back before it was so universally known, Ed usually had a deer hair collar like the Huffman one above. The idea was the collar would kick up turbulence adding motion to the soft materials and keeping the ostrich from looking like pencil in the water when under tension. There was no concern about the buoyancy, because of the way he fished the intruder. He didn't try to hit them between eyes. It was big and bad enough that they moved to it. He often fished it over the top of the boulder fields. So while lead eyes and deer hair may seem counterintuitive, it was a critical design element. Now of course with fishing guys there is no "always", and some of his didn't have it, but most did. The one in the video has a fur collar for bulk, and it's a great compromise between the two approaches. Tie some with a deer/elk collar behind the eyes. swim both of them and watch how they move. Make your own decision on how many of each you want. All of mine have it. I just string together multiple tube marabou flies if I want length without the intruder wiggle.
  10. Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Yakima, WA.
    I really like the ostrich "spey plumes" from Hareline. No need for a dubbing loop. I just use the tip are far down as seems flexible and wrap like a hackle. The tips move like marabou but they are more erect. Cabela's has three colors available in their Budget Barn: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Spey-Plumes/728607.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dspey%2Bplumes%26x%3D15%26y%3D9&Ntt=spey+plumes&WTz_l=Unknown Cabela's picture looks a lot like cheap marabou, but what they sent was 10 ostrich plumes in each pack.

I use them for tying up fish tacos in several colors. They look good in the water, but I haven't caught anything yet.
  11. poirierpro Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Me too.