Tues, Nov 28 Pass Lake (brrrr cold)

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Jeremy Floyd, Nov 28, 2006.

1. I fished from 1PM to 4PM. I saw only two other guys out there today. It was cold. I saw 10 other fish caught. I caught 2 and lost 3 myself. I caught two fish on a size 6 Carey Special, and one fish on a size 12 clown leech dropper (white with red painted beadhead).

The fish I caught on the clown leech was the biggest brown I have caught in my life. It was 22 1/2 inches long and my wifes brother was there with me and he had a shiny new digital fish scale that he got for his birthday last month. That brown weighed in at 3.71 lbs.

I put a chemical handwarmer in between sock layers which helped out a lot. I was toasty warm until the wind started to blow a bit about 2 PM.

Fighting the fish was really difficult. On the bigger fish I had a problem with them once I ran out of stripped line and needed to use the reel. That sucker was frozen solid and I kept having to dip it into the water to thaw it.

Two of the fish I lost were because of the reel being frozen and I had been extremely careful to not dip it up to the point of it not working.

Every cast I would have to dip the rod to thaw the guides and then shake it or no line would move out.

Fun day! I wont be using my 4 wt in the winter again. That reel is a definite problem. It is a cheap Cortland and freezes up bad.

2. You are a brave man for being out on a still water today! I will stick with rivers where I can do jumping jacks every hour to warm up untill this arctic front passes.

Thanks for the report! I may be "Coming to America" soon like Edddy Murphy and Pass LK is definetly on my to do list.

3. Cold huh? Who'd a thunk it.
    I'll stick to the fly tying theater/library for the time being.
    It is perfect SH weather though. Frozen guides, knock your snot of with a stick, crunchy shorelines.

4. Kudae to Subtlety. Undeterred by the cold and ice, he scores one huge brownie! Well done. Winter is when the bigguns come out to play.