Tuna. Not fly fishing related

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Rod Wittner, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Rod Wittner

Rod Wittner Active Member

Media:
    Went fishing for Albacore Tuna last Saturday with live bait. Not flies, but I wanted to post anyway to let you all know that tuna fishing off the WA coast is alive and well. I did a fly rod trip last year with Puget Sound Fly Shop and had an absolute blast with Joe and crew. We caught a few fish, but this year I decided that going for tuna is meat fishing for the freezer. Me and a buddy hooked up with Capt. Kerry of Offshore Northwest out of Westport, Wa last Saturday. What an amazing day. We went out about 30 miles in Kerry's 29 ft. Parker propelled by twin 250 hp Yamaha outboards. The sea was flat (after crossing the bar) and we hauled ass to the blue water. 6 of us boated 33 Albies. About 3:30, Capt. Kerry said we have to stop fishing because we can't store any more tuna. Damn... The fishing was slow at times and pure chaos at other times. We had fish in the 25 to 30 lb range all day long. Capt. Kerry said it was very unusual for us to be finding quantities of fish in this size range so early in the season. So, if anyone is interested in going after the prized Albacore, I would highly reccommend Capt. Kerry and Offshore Northwest. I talked with Kerry about the trip I took last year with Puget Sound Fly Shop and he said he is planning on doing the same thing with Gig Harbor Fly Shop later this summer. Hook a tuna on a 12 weight and watch the reel handle spin... it's just a blur. These fish will rip you into the backing a 100 yards in a matter of seconds. Yee Hawww...

2. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Heading out on the 14th with five other buddies from Puget Sound Fly Fishers. I've made the trip three times and it's a blast as long as the sea is relatively flat. I've been out as far as 60 miles but the tuna are closer in this year. I'm already packed!

constructeur likes this.
  3. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

I went out Thursday down here- 8 mixed bluefin and yellowfin-all around 20lbs. Tuna season is the best!!!! Brought home 6 and have over 50lbs of steaks, loins and bellies in my freezer!

The albacore have been MIA down here for 5 years, but the huge influx of yellowfin, and dorado is a bonus! Besides, I like yellowfin/bluefin better than albacore

4. stilly stalker

I too love tuna on the fly- but I go out several times a year with my conventional gear to fill the freezer.

Big ass 10wts, 12wts are a must. But reallly, really, really important to not skimp on a reel. You'll also want a few lines- my tuna fly lines are clear intermediate ( bluefin can be INSANELY LINE SHY) and a fast sinking shooting head. I never use a floater for tuna/ yellowtail offshore. I do use a floater for dorado under the kelp paddies

5. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Pictures or It didn't happen

6. stilly stalker

I could take a pic of my freezer STACKED with tuna loins for you

underachiever and jeff bandy like this.
  7. Steve Saville

Weighted fly, 500 grain Leviathan on a Tibor Gulfstream.:)

8. stilly stalker

down here you only need 2 different flies- an anchovy pattern, and a sardine pattern. Clousers, Surf candies, EP minnows and decievers all do great for these purposes. I prefer an unweighted fly, as the slow fluttering descent seems to trigger better takes than a fly sinking at a uniform rate

9. Fishee

Fishee Member

I like to try one of these trip sometimes. But main concern is how long is that 30 mile trip? WHat happens if you are burned out using fly rod? Can you use conventional rods?

I WANT SOME SUSHI!

10. stilly stalker

Usually they want at least one person on gear to keep the school engaged and interested. Down here that's key- as raising a school is one thing- keeping it up is different. Lots of bait and activity are key

11. stilly stalker

Here we leave at night- get to the fishing grounds while it's still dark, and fish morning bite through afternoon- back the next night.

Although the 3/4 day boats are slaying the tuna right now too.
    They leave at 5 am and are back at 8 ir 9 pm

12. Steve Saville

We get up about 3:00 A.M. and head for the boat. It takes a couple of hours to get out but the blue water is supposed to be in closer this year; maybe 20 - 25 miles. That's a lot of extra fishing time. We head back in about 5:00. It's a long day, especially if the water is rough.

13. porterHause

porterHause Just call me Jon

Media:
    Heading out tomorrow to go and get me some! Bringing the 10WT but won't cry if I don't get opportunity to toss it.

14. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:

I've never understood that attitude of quitting fishing early because you can't keep any more rather than continuing to fish and just letting them go.

Evan Burck likes this.
  15. Joepa

Joepa Joe from PA

I suspect they didn't have a way to easily release fish without breaking them off at the boat. The vast majority of Tuna boats are meat boats that gaff every tuna that comes to the boat.