Tunkwa Lake, BC - July 23 & 24

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by iceman2k, Jul 26, 2011.

1. iceman2k New Member

Surrey, BC
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    After a long week of work, I decided to pack up and take my wife and dog away for a few nights camping and do some fishing at Tunkwa. For years this is a lake that has continued to frustrate and perplex me. I have done very well at other lakes in the area, but have never landed a fish out of here.

We arrived late Friday evening, no thanks to the fantastic rush hour/weekend traffic, not to mention the highway being closed due to an accident. Needless to say, we were exhausted so we went to sleep to get up the next morning and challenge my nemesis!

The day started early with my dog waking me up at 5:30am needing to pee on every blade of grass there. But, because of that I started off the day with a beautiful scene and snapped this great shot.

[IMG]

After a nice breakfast and relaxing morning we headed out onto the water to do some chironomid fishing. An hour passes and my mind starts to wonder if this lake has got me yet again! No sooner that I say this to my wife, my indicator goes down hard and fast, and the next thing I know my brand new reel is screaming out as I feel the tug of a strong rainbow. The first run takes me well into my backing with a few leaps.

After a good 5+ minute fight, and into my backing twice, with 7 airborne attempts to throw the hook, I get my first Tunkwa Rainbow into the net!

[IMG]

Well, God tested my patience and I was rewarded after many attempts to conquer this lake. A great fish, followed by many more that day and the rest of the weekend.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

After a great Saturday on the water, Sunday started much the same. Multiple fish in a great Chironomid hatch.

[IMG]

Then, it was my wife's turn. The indicator went down and before she could even get a word out her line is peeling off her reel. The fish took one leap and I could see this was going to be the biggest fight and fish of her life. After about 8 minutes of fighting, nervousness and fear that she could never land this fish... it made it's way to the boat and into our net...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

22" and I would guess around 5lbs. The fish was built like a tank and was the fattest rainbow I had ever seen in person. I have seen lots of pictures of "footballs" out of lakes in the region, but never experienced it myself to this extreme. We put him back so he can thicken up for us to go back and catch him again this fall!

Richard
  2. Phil Fravel Friendly

Bonney Lake
    Ratings: +96 / 0
    Great report, and pictures, those BC trout are hard to beat.
  3. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    Very nice fish. They are fatties!! Good job
  4. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +209 / 0
    Nicely done. We stayed at Tunkwa a few years back but really didn't fish it serioulsy. We traveled the area and fished a different lake every day. Looks like I need to make a trip back to just fish Tunkwa.

Thanks for the report and the pictures.

MB
  5. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,307 / 4
    Thanks for the report. Sure brings back many, many memories. I love Tunkwa! For probably 10 years we took a yearly trip up there around the 4th of July. Its where I cut my teeth fly fishing. It took me a few years to get it dialed in, but when it finally came together it was memorable.

I used to tie a little maribou damsel for that lake that was absolutely killer. I don't know that they really took it as a damsel, as it just seemed to ALWAYS work, but man I got more fish than I could begin to count on that fly.

Looks like you guys had a great trip. Thanks for sharing.
  6. Starman77 Active Member

Kent, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +74 / 0
    Great report and photos, Richard! Nice work on getting the wife into a fat rainbow!

Rex
  7. Sagebrush Member

portland, or
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    great photos, really enjoyed those. We visited the lake for a afternoon last summer while staying at another lake in that area, but didnt fish it.. Beautiful lake and surrounding area.
    Its definitely on my to do list
  8. iceman2k New Member

Surrey, BC
    Thanks guys. I'm going to head back there again this summer at least once, if not twice. There were a lot of fish in that 17-21" range for us which makes it great fun! With our late summer everything is delayed. Damsels just started there and we didn't see a single dragon. I'm hoping another couple weeks and it will be on fire for damsels since that is my favourite sub-surface fishing in that area.

Nick, tan/ginger damsels work great up there this time of year. I've had some fantastic days with those flies on Leighton right beside Tunkwa. Anchor in the weeds and works the flies in...
  9. Sagebrush Member

portland, or
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    That sounds like a lot of fun!
  10. Brian Thomas Active Member

Kamloops B.C
    Ratings: +122 / 0
    Haven`t been to Tunkwa yet this year . Were there any bombers hatching ? Biggest chironomids I`ve ever seen come out of that lake , an honest size 8 3x long .
  11. iceman2k New Member

Surrey, BC
    Not when I was up there. They were size 10's and thousands of them! Figured the bombers were a few weeks away with some hot weather. I'm sure they have been coming off this past week now or at least starting to. I've never had so many chironomids in my ears, eyes, nose and mouth while fishing!
  12. Brian Thomas Active Member

Kamloops B.C
    Ratings: +122 / 0
    I didn`t think the bombers were out in full force yet . I know there were some around a few weeks ago , but the hatches were sporadic . I`m usually done with lake fishing at this time of year , but with the T being so high (still) , my lake season has been extended .

Bring on the bombers .
  13. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +221 / 0
    Great report, great photos. Nothing better than helping someone you love catch a bigger fish than you. Well done.
  14. iceman2k New Member

Surrey, BC
    I'm heading back there this weekend so hopefully it will be another fantastic trip. Forecast looks hot and sunny. I'll post pics when I get back.
  15. Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Seattle, Wa.
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    Great Report, thank you...and thanks for posting the pics too.
  16. iceman2k New Member

Surrey, BC
    Got back last night after a few days up there camping/fishing. The fishing sure slowed down this weekend. We ended up getting 3 in the net and lost 1 more small one. My wife beat me good again with the biggest of the trip, a 20" beauty. It was down to 3 degrees above freezing on Friday night... looks like fall is almost here in the high elevation lakes!
  17. ribka Active Member

E WA
    Ratings: +170 / 0
    Yeh great report! Like being up there agin fishing. Love fishing those lakes up there. Can be very frustrating at times and other times crazy hot fishing. The fish run big up there

Thanks for sharing