Turbo Leech SBS

Discussion in 'Fly Tying Step by Step / Video' started by GAT, Dec 3, 2012.

1. There's only 3 patterns that I developed that many anglers have used with good success. This one is responsible for at least half of the fish I catch in stillwaters. I call it a Turbo Leech because it is so fast to tie.

I tie it in a number of colors but olive and brown seem to produce the most trout for me. I'm showing a burgundy color because it also works from time to time and the color is prettier than olive or brown :) Black is another producing color as is yellow... so is chartreuse. Sooooo, I tie them up in a number of sizes and colors. Afterall, they are fast to tie so I can cover a lot of bases. During damselfly hatches, a size 12 olive color Turbo Leech with a gold bead head normally works better for me than more realistic looking damselfly nymph patterns.

[​IMG]

Materials:

Hook: Spear-It N063 or similar 3X long wet fly hook, sizes 4-10
    Bead: Gold or silver
    Thread: 8/0 black or match fly color
    Rib: Copper, gold, silver or red wire (normally I use copper for all my Turbo Leech patterns but I used red for this one)
    Tail/Body: Blood quill marabou

Step 1: Install a bead and clamp the hook in the vise

[​IMG]

Step 2: Attach a length of wire and over-wrap the hook shank, stop above the hook barb

[​IMG]

Step 3: Tie in a single marabou feather so the tail extends about the length of the hook, make sure the wraps are tight

[​IMG]

Step 4: Run the thread forward to the bead. Twist the marabou into a rope and wind forward to the bead (option: twist the wire rib in with the marabou, in either case, the rib is meant to add a bit of durability to the marabou)

[​IMG]

Final: Whip-finish and you're done

[​IMG]

You'll find that I'll mention a Turbo Leech pattern quite often when talking about stillwater patterns.
    Now you know what I'm talking about.

2. Gene,

Very nice; thanks for the SBS. Looks like a good fly for the Blackfeet lakes.

Regards,
    Scott

3. I tie a version of this with bead chain eyes instead of a bead and emu hackles instead of marabou
    great trout/ low water steelhead fly

4. This pattern on a scud hook is killer under an indicator. Rusty red, olive, and burgundy have been good for me.​

Mark Mercer likes this.
  5. I use the same approach for WBs when I want the same color for both the tail and the body. The difference is, I tie in a saddle hackle at the eye after wrapping the body, wind the feather to the rear and then use the wire ribbing to lock down the hackle fibers and the body but advancing it forward.

6. Tie it in olive and throw a softhackle behind the bead(red) and a couple of rubber centipede legs and its a killer dragonfly nymph pattern