Turkey openers

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Alex MacDonald, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Turkey begins next week, and it looks like the weather and a few other factors are keeping them from my back yard. If I were to head up toward the Coleville area, anybody have some more information to narrow it down a bit? I've never been there, and the cigar club guys are beginning to think about it. We'd probably be camping for a few days.

2. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Last time I was in the Coleville area I saw lots of turkey.
    Finding access to the private property that holds lots of turkey.
    You should have been scouting months ago.
    The big birds are not stupid they will move to areas that have little to no pressure.

3. Islander

Islander Steve

I hunted the Coleville area a few times last year. All of the birds I saw were on private ranches and folks yards. Hit the National Forest (south of Republic and Sherman Creek Wildlife Area) for a couple days with no sightings. Doesn't mean they aren't there, but I didn't see them. I have seen birds by Long lake, south of Republic, but that was during a fishing trip and the season wasn't open. Went back in season and could'nt call up anything.

4. Rick Sharp

Rick Sharp Member

Media:
    Go and ask the ranchers most of them want the Turkeys gone, we have really good success asking permission.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

5. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    That means they should be in the back yard when I get to the property on Saturday...right?:D

6. Theron

Theron Active Member

I think it may be true about the ranchers. You used to never see turkey around here unless you went into the really rural areas. Now I see them along the road in lots of wooded areas. My brother bought some for his farm a few years ago and now regrets the move. They can be messy birds around buildings. Good luck with your hunt.