Turkeys

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Josh Benjamin, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Josh Benjamin

Josh Benjamin Member

anybody getting ready for turkey hunting this season??
    the opener is about a month away and i can't wait.

2. Wayne Jordan

Wayne Jordan Active Member

Media:
    I just ordered a few new calls and plan on showing Spanishfly and Klintd how it's done this year!:thumb:

3. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    Absolutely! My son is currently taking his Hunter Ed class so I can drag him kicking and screaming into the woods on April 15th! I can't wait- neither can he!

4. Josh Benjamin

Josh Benjamin Member

good to hear...where are you guys headed??

5. Wayne Jordan

Media:
    To be honest, I'm not really sure yet. This will be my first season of hunting turkeys in Washington.

6. Josh Benjamin

Josh Benjamin Member

If you want some input, feel free to shoot me a pm.
    last year was my first year and 3 of us killed 4 birds.

7. Wayne Jordan

Media:
    Thanks Josh, I'll take any info you're willing to share. My biggest challenge will be locating areas to hunt that have birds and access. The calling and actual hunting part I have pretty much down to a science.

8. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    If anyone is interested there are lots of Merriams around our place in Oroville. Can't hunt on the property, but two miles up the road is access to thousands of acres...

There's liable to still be some snow up there come to think of it...

9. spanishfly

spanishfly Steelberg

Media:
    Whatever..... Dude! Your going with me I'll get you into a bird :thumb: I'll try not to spook them as they come struting in.... :rofl:

10. Jmills81

Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Media:
    Ahhh....thank god i live in eastern washington...turkey's abound. Had one in my yard the a couple of months ago and i live in town (spokane). I heard some noise that E WA is one of best places in the COUNTRY to hunt for wild turkeys...and the season is two weeks longer this year...

My wife's birthday is the 16th.....so the opener might be a tough one for the rest of my life.....but plenty of time after that....and if anyone needs feathers, let me know

If anyone needs some clues to good dry side stuff, i can try to most certaily help out to clue you in

Thanks
    Josh

11. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    I just hope that with the winter being what it was (or in some cases still is), they won't start their routine too late or too early for the opener. Two years ago in the area I hunt (near Davenport), they did their thing early and by opening day there were darn few birds to be seen. Last year did a cast and blast in Hell's Canyon so I missed the traditonal opener in Washington. In a few years there'll be good turkey hunting in even more areas than there is now...the population spread of birds is impressive to say the least. Talk about an ability to adapt.

Good luck all.

12. johnmetcalfe

johnmetcalfe New Member

Just North of Spokane in Colville is suppose to be awsome for turkeys!
    Good luck.
    Jm

13. Brent Comer

Brent Comer Member

Media:
    I'll be out for my first time this year. I'm going with a buddy with some experience. Is there any special Turkey hunting etiquette I should know about?

14. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    Don't shoot the hunter using the Turkey call.

15. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    BTW, I was thinking of another try at the Entiat this year for gobbler. By the time I went it seemd like it was pretty hunted out with only females left. I'm thinking it's too close to many little towns and Wetsnatchee.

16. Josh Benjamin

Josh Benjamin Member

don't shoot anybody and don't stalk a gobbling turkey...oh and don't lowhole anyone either:thumb:
    seriously stalking a turkey is bad news, illegal in some states, because people get shot. the hunter who is doing the gobbling if thats the case, sees something move and shoots. i personally know 2 people who got shot in new york turkey hunting(both at the same time when a hunter came upon one of their decoys and shot it, and them at the same time), and one old man who shot somebody. none of the victims were killed or seriously injured for that matter, but turkey hunting can be a dangerous sport.
    Matt...i would think there's enough land in the entiat that if you hiked away from the road for a mile or so, you'd leave most of the other hunters and find some undisturbed turkeys. just a guess...never hunted turkeys there before.

17. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Don't wear any blue hats or red bandanas, seriously.

18. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    And I drove that rode up a ways, but not to the falls. Serious 4wheel, even when dry. Saw lots of Varmint too. There is a rumor there are fish above the falls, if your rig makes it, but I don’t know. Instead of getting to it at the mouth, I was thinking of climbing the ridge from the west side, starting at the tribes and then down to the mouth. I’m not giving away anyone’s favorite hole, am I? I’d hate for that kind of crap to bleed over onto this forum. Hiking away from the rest of the pack sounds like a hell of an idea, with about thirty pounds of overnight crap. Maybe a rod and plenty of ammo. In case I get bored and hunt cans. Americans, Mexicans, Pakistanicans, etc.

19. Brent Comer

Brent Comer Member

Media:
    Roper, Josh, Matt: Thanks for the tips. I can see where turkey hunting could be a dangerous endeavor.

ps: Roper, it's beginning to sound like I should wear my upland bird vest. :D

20. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Well, I wouldn't do that, but many folks don't think about a bandana looking like a big red turkey snood, blue also...and the snood is the X ring for turkey hunters...:eek: