Turkish delight

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by constructeur, Jun 8, 2014.

1. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Media:
    I needed a new shotgun as the early 40's full choke Ithaca 37 I had just wasn't cutting it on the skeet range, with me not feeling comfy firing steel shot through it, and mostly being into upland work, I treated myself to a new Weatherby SA-08 semi-auto 26" barrel 20 gauge.

The SA-08 is made in Turkey by ATA, with quality parameters set by Weatherby. I ended up choosing this gun as it's mostly a rip off of a 300 series Beretta (who doesn't like those?) , for less than 1/3 the cost, with none of the issues of many of the other entry level Turk guns (CZ/Huglu semi autos being accused of poorly applied blueing and triggers that break inconsistently/heavy, or soft firing pins + poor custom service with the Remington sxp as 2 examples.) A decent amount of internet searching has shown that no one else has experienced any major quality issue with this line either, most complaints are about Country of origin, or the fact that it doesn't stack up to a nice Italian gun...and nothing in the $500 range does so, jah whatever!

I broke it in with a case of Remington STS 7/8oz. shells, pushing the window of what semi autos are known to fire, without a single ejection issue. I recon that's due to the interchangeable gas piston (light/heavy loads.) and with the 2 piston system, I'd wager that this semi-auto will fire many light loads that most other guns wouldn't cycle. I'll be finding out! :cool:

Overall I'm chuffed. It's a light gun that swings quickly, and I could literally shoot it and pack it around all day without being bothered. A win on all fronts for me.

Anyhow, with a few on here interested in bird hunting, and a few starting out/maybe budget minded folks out there, I thought I'd share my new find/experience.

Corporate link: http://www.weatherby.com/product/shotguns/sa_08/sa08_synthetic

Hey, even the super picky Randy Wakeman likes it:
    http://www.randywakeman.com/WeatherbySA08Deluxe20GaugeAutoloader.htm

2. Bob Rankin

Bob Rankin Chasing fur and fish every second I get :)

Thanks for the post,good to know there is still some good shotguns out there at a decent price. But... I like the sounds of a 40's Ithaca! I hunt a 40's Lc Smith for pheasants and love it!

3. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Which Elsie do you shoot, Bob? Her Ladyship's got my father's Ideal in 20.

4. Bob Rankin

Alex
    I shoot a 1942 field grade in 12ga, 30" barrels choked mod and full. It swings like a dream and will bust a pheasants ass :)

5. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Media:
    Just ordered a Trulock skeet choke for the Weatherby today, that should be fun on clays and Quail up close.

I dunno Bob, the Ithaca just isn't my thing. It's not worth adding a poly choke to it IMO, and like I said above, I don't feel it's worth the $2.50+ per shell of the non tox. I do like some older stuff; was looking at a Winchester model 12 16 gauges last week and getting one of those tuned up/re worked would be cool to use as a dedicated upland gun...but truth be told I'm too cheap to enjoy the romanticism of owning what most regard as a quality classic double or o/u. :cool:

6. Bob Rankin

I totally understand. I've got a few Beretta's as well. They each have there own talents. It's nice being able to switch out chokes for whatever the day day brings. Shooting skeet is a blast! I try and brush up before dove season. Doves hunting is very humbling. Best of luck on the new shotgun and shooting

Bob