Turning Cork

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Tyler84, Jan 26, 2012.

1. I have recently begun turning cork handles for the first time. I have a few questions about glue,

What it the preferred glue to use when pressing the cork rings together so that the glue is not visible in the lines? What is the propper way to apply the glue and press the corks?

I have experimented with Gorilla Glue and Titebond III with varied success. The Gorilla Glue made one handle that was almost there, but a few lines were visible. I applied as thin a coat as possible on only one side of the rings. My feeling is that this glue is bad because it expands. Then again, the Titebond doesn't seem to sand as well, leaving a bump on the ring, and it also shows very slightly even when applied super thin.

What about the rod builders epoxy? I have the flexcoat stuff on hand.

Any suggestions? Much appreciated.
    Tyler

2. Contact Bob (R B Meiser Rods) or Gary Anderson (ACR rods); both custom high end designer/builders. Both very free with info as they sell 'kits.' Google will give you both of their web sites/phone numbers.

fae

3. Tyler, I used the two part epoxy from Flexcoat also. Some lines might show, but be sure to use a firm backing on your sanding to avoid the "bumps". I used stick on sandpaper over a paint stirring stick and took nice long strokes as the grip was tuning at a fairly high speed.

4. I use Titebond III exclusively with cork and burl cork. I have no problems with glue lines. With cork I first glue up in 2 1/2-3" sections and then glue those up to get finished length. Keeps better pressure on the rings, and i only apply glue on 1 side of each ring.

5. Sound advice from the above posts. I use Titebond III for cork, wood and burl, 2 part Epoxy for anything rubberized. I start with a rough sandpaper and work my way up to 600grit. When your clamping the grip together make sure that you can give it the most squeezing pressure you can, for the more pressure you can put on the cork the less chance that you will show any glue or epoxy. You should not be able to see glue lines. For the sanding I cut full sheets of sandpaper length ways into about 1 inch strips so I can apply downward pressure while turning the grip.

6. I agree. Titebond III and glue on 1 side of each ring. My best advice is to bite the bullet and get high quality flor grade rings. You will have much less to worry about and the rings will fit together nicely. And it will be worth the extra cost in the end. I have had good luck getting rings from REC.

7. Great! Thank you all for the advise!