Turnover.....events. Anybody a Fish Biologist?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Vladimir Steblina, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Yesterday, I fished a small ten acre lake that was basically shallow with a hole about twenty feet deep.

The temperature on the fishing buddy(sonar) at the start was 57 degrees. The fishing buddy in the morning showed a "vegetative" layer with fish about ten feet above the bottom.

Then the wind started blowing and after a short break I went back out. Now the fishing buddy showed a water temperature of 64 and that "vegetative" layer was gone.

However, the lake stayed pretty much clear. Some lakes that I have seen turnover just turn muddy.

So is my fishing buddy going on the fritz? Or is turnover that rapid??

Oh, the fishing was slow at the start and stayed slow if that matters.

2. Small lake, lots of wind--maybe a bunch of mixing?

3. jwg

jwg Active Member

At those temperatures the lake is long past the turnover that occurs after ice out

Lakes can turnover at higher temperatures. But I would have expected a turnover to bring colder water up, whereas you report a temperature increase.

I can't explain your observations

Jay

4. jwg

jwg Active Member

PS

I have also seen fishfinder response in a stratified lake, so I agree that your observation suggests the lake was stratified

In my case, I also had a device I lowered on a line that recorded temperature every five feet, so I had a measurement in addition to the fishfinder reflection

Jay

5. Vladimir Steblina

Thanks for your comments.

The west end of the lake was fairly shallow and the wind was from that direction. So maybe the warm water from the west end blew east and raised the temp!! It did drop to 62 when I pulled out at 4:00pm.

None of it really makes sense. I suspect the temp readings were accurate.

Well, there was none of this real time stuff in the fisheries class!!

6. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

So...did you catch any fish? Maybe I missed it in the thread. Anyhow, a turnover certainly shuts down fish feeding....IMHO.

7. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

The shape of the pond and orientation to wind direction can dramatically increase shallow, small water mixing. Length time of the wind as well as velocity are other factors to consider. I documented several fish kills in small impoundments that ocurred after very strong winds were blowing the length of ponds that were much longer than wide. Solution was planting wind brake vegetation along the prevailing wind end of the pond.

8. Vladimir Steblina

Caught five fish.....only one was decent about 18-19 and three lbs. He was fat and strong. Fishing did not change.... it stayed slow all day. A fish every 45 minutes or so.

I was surprised at the 64 degree water temperature. That is warm!! Particularly, when mixing with 57 degree water. Maybe it just blew down in a "sheet" over the deeper part of the lake. We had quite a long stretch of sunny weather so maybe the lake did warm up considerably in the shallow portion.