NFR Turntable/record player help

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Gary Knowels, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Media:
    Hey guys, I'm hoping a few people around know some stuff about turntables and can help me out. The girlfriend and I enjoy listening to vinyl, but for the last 2 years have been using a hand me down record player. The motor crapped out recently and that put me in the market for a new one. I know nothing about turntables, but like the idea of picking something vintage up second hand, but don't want to be taken by paying too much for a hunk of garbage. My budget is $100. Any advice on things I should look for or things I should avoid?

2. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

Hawthorne Stereo on Roosevelt has excellent ratings.
    They treated us well for my daughters' request for an "old school" stereo w/turntable.
    Good folks there.

wadin' boot likes this.
  3. Gary Knowels

Media:
    Thanks Greg, I'll swing by on my lunch tomorrow!

4. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Media:
    Check the prices on the needles for the player. some are really high priced. Bring in a good lp and play it on the device before you buy it.

GAT likes this.
  5. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Gary, If you haven't found one before you read this, here's an offer that I hope you can't refuse. I have a turntable that was from a Technics rack system that I bought in1984. It still worked the last time I used it. The system's Am/FM tuner crapped out on me first. Then the amp went haywire. I quit using the stuff at about the turn of the century. I also have the equalizer that came with the system, and that was still working the last time I used it, but its been stashed in my garage ever since. This was never high end audio stuff, but merely "good enough."
    I've been keeping the turntable on an upper shelf in a closet in my house, so it has the better chance of still being functional. I was thinking of finding an old amp that would match up with it, but I've never gotten round to doing that, so Its unlikely that I ever will. It still has a needle. Its yours, for free, if you want it. I could use the shelf space.

I still have about 250 old rock albums from the late 60's thru the late 70's era. Most of them have scratches, gouges, etc. Some might be "collectible," so I need to go thru those and make some tough decisions. Then I was planning on taking the rest down to a used record shop and taking whatever was offered for them.

6. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Jim, Gin and I removed everything from our attic last summer and that included many rock 60-70s LPs and a top end Technics turntable. We were kind'a shocked when we took the albums and turntable to the used record store here in town and they told us our albums were exactly what they were looking for.

Unfortunately, the turntable belt had melted onto the spindle (most likely caused by keeping the device in the attic) and it would be expensive to repair. ....so we didn't bother.

They paid us more for the records than I thought they would so it was worthwhile lugging them all down to the store. I guess they didn't mind the "well played" records as much as I thought they would.

I was ready to toss the LPs in a dumpster... that would have been a mistake.

Too bad about the turntable. I never thought records would ever return so I didn't take very good care of the device.

7. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Thanks for the tip, Gene. I will admit to once using some old LPs for skeet practice, once. I blew away some collectible ones, in my ignorance. I figured that the old "I Am the Greatest" by Cassius Clay wasn't worth anything, and so I blasted it to smithereens.
    I'm keeping any old comedy albums I have left, plus my Gabby Pahinui and other Hawaiian music.
    When I was sharing a house once, a bunch of my better albums, including some that were collectible, mysteriously disappeared.

8. Travis Bille

Travis Bille Active Member

Media:
    Gary, you lousy hipster doofus

Gary Knowels likes this.
  9. Gary Knowels

Media:
    I like to listen to bands you've never heard of while drinking fair trade, organic, local, small batch roasted pour over coffee with $5 toast and organic pork belly while smoking American spirits in a cardigan with an ironic handlebar moustache.

10. Travis Bille

Travis Bille Active Member

Media:

Oh yeah, well I hated hipsters before it was cool. Ponder that one. It's deep.......

11. Gary Knowels

Media:
    I think that makes you a hipster which means you hated yourself, so the answer becomes self loathing, which is probably a tenet of the hipster manifesto.

Travis Bille likes this.
  12. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    Hawthorne Stereo is the best. They're audiophiles so they're going to recommend a manual table and the cheapest new one will be well above $100. It's like going into a fly shop and asking for a rod, reel and line for $100.
    They do have a nice selection of used tables so they might be able to set you up with one of those.

Do NOT get any table that has an arm with no counterweight. (Best Buy stuff) That's asking for record damage.

NOTE:
    There is a new deck on the market called ORBIT. It's being reviewed as a sort of Redington Classic Trout of turn tables. It looks like the Famous tables from Rega in England, but costs 1/2 what their entry level model does and it comes with a decent cartridge too.

13. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Put the needle on the record
    And the drum beat goes like this

Mountain Man likes this.
  14. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

In the 70s, Virginia worked in the service department of a TV/Audio store in town as a invoice writer. Employees could purchase any product the business sold at wholesale prices.

The sales guys were all college age and kept up on the latest and greatest audio equipment. This meant Gin and I had some pretty danged nice audio equipment.

At the time we bought the Technics turntable, it was considered one of the best. Still, the care of the records and the players was a pain in the butt. I welcomed the arrival of cassette and then ultimately, CDs.

If albums sound better than CDs... you can't prove it by me... my 62 years old ears don't seem to notice.

15. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    Radio shack has tons of new turntables for less than $100.

Presumably that fact needs to work its way into a business school case study re "Growth Strategies at Radio Shack"

Jim Wallace likes this.
  16. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:

$5 says Patrick has Slanted and Enchanted on Vinyl.

17. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    I wanna hear the 17 minute version of Inna Gadda Da Vida.

18. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    I had to look that one up. The '90s were pretty much a haze of Grateful Dead for me. I missed all the modern bands from '87-'95.

Gary Knowels likes this.
  19. Greg Armstrong

Aw, don't worry too much about that.
    Get about a size 22 Mustad, bend it just a little to fit, and it'll play like new.
    You might get a little Norwegian lingo wound up in the lyrics - but what the hell, it'll be retro' and sound great!.

Patrick Gould likes this.
  20. Greg Armstrong

Oh, and use Partridge hooks for pure listening pleasure of the British Invasion stuff...