NFR Turntable/record player help

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Gary Knowels, Mar 23, 2014.

1. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

I owe you $5 then..pm me.

Patrick Gould likes this.
  2. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Gene,

If you didn't toss your Technics turntable, it's possible to order replacement drive belts. I did that for my obsolete Sansui table a decade ago, and it stays LP ready.

Sg

3. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

Ah, middle school. Suburban white kids trying to pull off the drop crotch pants look and dance the running man. Joy and pain (pump it up, pump it up), sunshine and rain.

Ed Call likes this.
  4. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

My old turntable has never played anything from that "less than sub-human mongrel beotch" that goes by the name of Ted Nugent. It has turned lots of Bob Dylan and Grateful Dead, though.
    The turntable I had before the Technics (a Sansui that I got in a trade from my brother in 1975) was stolen with a classic Ravi Shankar album on it. The album was worth more to me than the turntable.

5. later_Peter

later_Peter Active Member

I have a number of turntables (a weird story)... I would suggest "direct drive" or "linear tracking" type... a good needle (similar to a decent rod & good fly line). You can find quality used turntables for a reasonable price (Craig's List $25 - $50) then take it in & get it tested/adjusted as needed... (just one more opinion)

6. Jim Wallace

Awww heck! If Gary doesn't take me up on my offer, I might have to hunt down an amp. I have this thing made by Panasonic in my garage that records 8-tracks and has an AM/FM tuner. Its supposedly for recording 8-tracks from radio. It doesn't play them, though. I should examine it and see if it doesn't have an input for a turntable.
    I think I still have an 8-track player and some old 8-tracks in a box in the attic of my garage, that my brother gave me after he wrecked his car that the 8-track player was in.

7. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

8. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Thanks guys. Steve saville had a Sanyo tucked away in his garage that he offered up for free, so I'm going to grab that from him and see.what it can do.

9. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

I just put the needle down on Tom Wait's Nighthawks at the Diner, probably my favorite vinyl...When you get your turntable Gary, this album, for your girlfriend...can't go wrong...

10. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Free is good.

If you're up in Roosevelt stop by Hawthorne and check out their reference table. It's an old Linn LP12 that doesn't look like much, but they made so many modifications that I think It'll do the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs.

11. atomic dog

atomic dog Jive Turkey

Patrick, you're crossing the nerd streams, be careful.

12. Jim B

Jim B Flyfishin' and homebrewin'....priorities ?

Thumbs up for Hawthorne Stereo. I brought my 1973 vintage Pioneer 626 receiver in there a few months ago for a tune-up and to replace bulbs that haven't worked for decades, and it works like brand new, for $65! Our 30-yr old daughter was amazed, as she had never seen so many lights on the thing before :p

Gary Knowels likes this.
  13. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

I've purchased several needles at Hawthorne. It's likely the best shop in Seattle. After losing maybe 5 expensive needles to a careless nanny and/or housekeeper, I quit and put it in storage. Somehow over the years the player disappeared.

14. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

just get some Pink Floyd albums and your all good

15. Andrew Shoemaker

Andrew Shoemaker Active Member

I think I've seen you all over Olympia pretty much every day. You hang out there right? But ironically of course...

16. Kevin Pidone

Kevin Pidone New Member

The Needle Doctor probably has the best selection of turntables I've ever seen. Anything turntable related you will find there. I've been drooling over Clear Audio's "Concept" turntable for awhile now, but seem to find other things to spend my money on (rods, reels, and more vinyl!!!)

17. Jim Wallace

If treated right, vinyl will far outlast any electronic storage media. Or so I've heard. Probably an urban myth.

18. rotato

rotato Active Member

I bought the Nonce" World Ultimate" album from a guy in japan
    I once had the single given to me whe I lived on the hilltop in tacoma
    So to celebrate living through the crack years in tacoma I tracked down the only Vinyl copy I could find

Since you have to get off your butt to play it , it's special