Two days on the Clarks Fork

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Kim Hampton, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Kim Hampton

Kim Hampton Not Politically Correct

Just got home from fishing two days on the Clarks Fork near St. Regis. Great trip with some of the best river trout fishing I have experienced. 30+ fish each day (I quit counting), several were in the 15" to 18" range. Largest was 21". I haven't been river fishing for a couple of years as I've centered my fishing on the Sound for SRC's and tropical salt when I got the chance. Damn now my interest is going back the other way. So much fishing to do...so little time. Didn't get a picture of the 20"-er as the top of the guides net broke so we were stressing the fish. Wanted to get it back in the water quickly. Actually the guide like the way I brought the fish in (fast or horsed) so they weren't getting stressed as much. I will be returning back to this area. View attachment 34232 View attachment 34233 View attachment 34234

2. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Very nice!

3. Stewart

Stewart Skunk Happens

What patterns were producing? What stretch did you float? On Friday I'll be in Superior for two days of fun.

4. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Media:
    Home Page:
    Stop in and see Brooks for his OC patterns. Worked well on Town to Ferry Landing takeout last week.

5. Stewart

Stewart Skunk Happens

Thanks Derek. You can never have too many flies. Just a shortage of fly boxes, or places to put them.:D

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Who did you float with out there Kim? Congrats on the great trip.

7. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Media:
    Home Page:
    Have a great trip - here's a nice fish from the trip.

[​IMG]

8. Kim Hampton

Kim Hampton Not Politically Correct

I went through Clark Fork Trout & Tackle...http://www.clarkforktrout.com/ Brooks the owner set me up with John Wilcox for my guide. Good guy...I'll use him again. I like his gentle coaching..."Throw at that seam, Big mend, little mend, let the fly work, twitch it, a little longer on your back cast." That sort of thing. Worked his ass off.

The foam hopper patterns (tan/brown got the large fish. Purple haze got a few...it's like a foam hopper like patten with purple in it. Droppers like a Prince or mayfly pattern seemed to grab the smaller guys.

We started each day above Superior. 1st day we floated past Superior and took out at Rock creek (I think). Second day we started further up and took out just above Superior. Seemed like mid day things started to turn on but maybe if we nymphed more in the morning I might have had more action. It was still great fishing.

First time in about 15 years for me to return to Montana...what was I thinking? The last time I was over there I was on the Madison. The Clark Fork just blew the socks off of that trip.

The Nugget campground in St. Regis where I off loaded my camper was top notch. Spotlessly clean, great Wi-Fi and very pet friendly. We drove around for a few days before I started to fish. It was great...two lane roads with a 70 mph speed limit...amazing.

9. patl

patl New Member

Home Page:
    Thanks for the report! I grew up downstream of there past the dam at Thompson Falls, but need to go back home and visit the faster waters upstream.