Two men, a New Hampshire River and lots of Browns

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by John Hicks, Oct 28, 2006.

1. The bright side of getting your butt handed to you on the prime atlantic salmon rivers of the Gaspe peninsula is that when you return to New Hampshire you can be certain to find good trout fishing. James Mello and I made our way back from the famed Matapedia river in Quebec and decided to find some really good fishy water. I couldn't let him go home empty handed so I took him out to the Sugar river not far from my house.

We got to the sugar a little after first light and settled in bellow an old rail bridge that I knew held lots of feisty browns. James started out fishing dries up at the head of the pool which was a large boldery flat section that moved its way down to the main pool. It was great to finally get him out here fishing small stream water in the Northeast. James picked one up with a dry and then he joined me down in the main pool. We both fished small nymphs and drifted them through the pool. The fish gods smiled on us and pretty soon it wasn't good enough to just catch fish, as we were catching many. We started to make bets with each other. You have to catch a fish on this fly. And with that we were off catching fish again this time with small size 22 Serendipity's and size 20 copper johns.

The fish we found on the sugar river were no push overs. They weren't the Harvard PhD fish James and I ran into on the swift river in Massachusetts, but they were definitely particular about what they would put in their mouths. All in all we counted about 35 fish to hand a piece that day and fond memories of fall brown trout fishing in New Hampshire.

2. That looks like some nice water and those are some nice browns to match it. Thanks for sharing!!

3. Beauty stuff John. I hope to make it back to the NE sometime in the late spring next year.

4. Cool pics, did you guys fish anythign besides dries?