Two or three?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Guy Gregory, May 12, 2013.

1. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

Okay, I'm seriously conflicted. I am going to buy a pontoon boat, I am, I am, at last I am. The question becomes, 'How big?' A two guy boat (and there are several very nice ones produced in this region) is nice because it is small, relatively light, can at least conceivably be transported by one guy without a trailer, and may be able to be a stillwater substitute for me and my dog. And usually when I go on the river in my drift boat, it's a two guy proposition, anyway. Lightness helps for several reasons, I'm older now and can't toss 100 lbs on my back and march a klick...etc.

But a two-guy boat can't take 3 guys. A 3 guy boat can take 2, or 3. It's not really that much heavier. It's likely a better big water boat. It might be a better boat for overnight trips, of which there might be a few left in my days. It's a bit of a PITA to launch at some of the more remote lakes and such, but my dog will have lots of room to trot around, and it's likely more stable fore and aft in lakes and such.
    It will need a trailer, fo' sho', and will not be very user friendly wheeling in and out of rough launches. In fact, it may not represent much of an upgrade over a 'glass boat. I'm an inland guy, so most western washington streams are not in the cards either way.

Heck, this argument is getting boring typed, not just in my head. Guys, help a dude out. If you struggled with this, what did you decide, and how'd it turn out?

2. Get both

Bill Aubrey likes this.
  3. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

Media:
    11' single man boat with decks for your dog!

4. PT

PT Physhicist

Sounds like you should stick with the DB and just get yourself a small toon or Watermaster for lakes. A 2 or 3 person cat is not something you'll be tossing around by yourself. Set up, break down, launch, etc...........? Just as difficult if not more so than using your DB

5. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    Guy the problem for me in this question is when you go to the two or three man boats you sit on an elevated seat and lose the ability to propel the boat with fins for still water use. I think that the pontoon in slower rivers (like the NFCDA and the Joe) and still water is great because you can steer and move around while fishing with both hands. I always thought the Outcast Pac 1000 met this criteria well and it would be easy to extend the rear platform for the dog. If two or three is important then you are going to have to use the oars on still water, not a deal breaker, in that case I would go with a three person cat with a three part frame so you could go with two and a platform or one with a platform. I think BDD from Catchercraft was working on a cat like this I really liked.
    I have thought about this a lot and I think I will keep my 8' pontoon for lakes and get a Pac 1200 for bigger rivers solo or with a partner. I don't have two friends so a two person boat will work:)
    jesse

6. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

Yeah, I've got the SouthFork I've had for years for solo lake stuff. Pretty much unbeatable in my opinion, though there are great new toons out there for that. And PT, you're right, I sold my driftboat for a series of reasons and probably shoulda kept it. But in the end I'll be happier with a craft that, after it hits a couple of rocks in skinny water, doesn't require several hours of putty/primer/paint and varnish to return to it's original beauty.

Jess, I know for a fact you've more than two friends, (I'm waiting for a report on Apache Trout, buddy) and your advice on BDD's boats is excellent, he's got a wonderful boat and despite not being "the best" I think Maxxon tubes would suit my needs..I probably won't be on the MiddleFork 50 days a year, for example, and I take care of my stuff.
    Thanks for your thoughts, guys.

7. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Guy you can come row this one any time and check out how it handles on the river.

Attached Files:

8. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    More is better. Less can never do more. More can do more or less when less is actually more of what you need. That was fun to type. Three is the answer, and I don't mind rowing.

9. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    BDD did you do the three salt boat? That is the one that I thought would make an outanding grande ronde guide boat. The picture of the two salt boat looks like the D-rings are really low on the tube? Or is that an "optional delusion".
    jesse

10. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    JJ, yeah, we have only done 3 or 4 of the 3-Salt boats and this is the only one we have been able to photograph. Regarding the D-rings, Maxxon has been experimenting with their locations trying to make them better...very keen eye you have. If this were my boat, I would have a made a few changes but this is what the customer wanted.

Attached Files:

11. PT

PT Physhicist

Guy, your original post didn't say you sold the glass boat. In that case, I'd take the above advice and go 3 man. It'll cover your full spectrum except for the kick boat part. Raft would actually be my suggestion but you didn't ask about that.

Yes, I had a 2 person Skookum and really liked it but it wasn't no featherweight and when loaded rowed a bit like a dog. It was a 12' boat and another couple feet might have made a big difference.13' Super Puma handled 3 people pretty well and rowed like a champ with only 2 in it.