"Two Pole" on quality waters

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Old406Kid, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

2. jwg

jwg Active Member

I like the BC version where a. Person alone in a boat can use two poles

Once there two folks in the boat one pole each

Jay

3. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

What I would like to point out is when using two RODS on a put and take lake in eastern Oregon this spring I hooked two fish at one time. one being 17 in. the other (second indi down) was right at twenty in. and 4 pounds. I was already fighting the smaller (yet good size that fought hard) fish and it took some time to land him. I had to put the other rod between my legs and pointed behind me (fishing both sides of the boat) and when I landed the first fish had to just throw it in the bottom of the boat to fight the other fish, which in turn made me have to kill the first fish and have the second larger fish on to long! took some time in my deep net to revive the second larger fish before release and glad it survived if in fact it did? the lake was a slaughter with the baiters and trollers so I didn't feel bad about killing the one fish but I really didn't want to!

Now when this happens on a catch and release lake what the hell do you do??? I also fished two rods deep by the damn and had a hell of a time keeping up with both rods (one deep sinker fished straight down and one indi at 25 feet) luckily I never hooked two at a time at that location because I kept missing the indi fish, not because i wasen't getting bit on both rods at the same time. After the two larger fish I put away the second rod right after landing those fish - I felt BAD!

I never fished two rods again the rest of the year for the reasons above. if the fishing is slow it can help you figure out patterns and depth faster but once dialed in - take the other rod out! JIMO!

4. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

I guess I am not very good at multitasking. Although I have two hands, I find that when fly fishing, both are usually busy, and I have no need of a second rod. But that is just me. YMMV

5. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

I think the whole 2-pole thing is complete nonsense to begin with-on any water. What's next-bazookas for elk hunting?

Bartfly and Ron McNeal like this.
  6. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:

check out proposal #26 for hunting rule changes. Only condition is it can only be held by one person only.

7. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    I don't mind using one pole. But if it is an option available to the non-regulated public (standard rules) then I think the option should be available for selective/special waters as well. Why should WDFW discriminate on angler type? If you don't want to buy the two pole endorsement, then don't. But if someone else wants to, then they should have that option.

I'd much rather fish one rod and multiple flies than a single fly on multiple rods. I think that logic goes back to saltwater fishing, which is vastly different than freshwater lake fishing.

8. zen leecher aka bill w

Media:
    Two rod used to be legal in Puget Sound.

9. psycho

psycho Active Member

I have not had a problem with two fish on two rods, we do it all the time here.Most of us use rod holders so you just leave one fish to itself until the first one is taken care of. Two fish at a time happens quite often when fishing chironomids. Now two fish on one rod I could see as a problem. Two double digit fish from a lake in the Caribou on one rod would spell disaster.:eek:

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  10. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    They should bring this back to all marine areas not just a couple.

11. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
  12. TB Wannabe

TB Wannabe New Member

I think they should charge more for the second rod. And, no I don't know what the charge is now.

13. PT

PT Physhicist

Why did you just have to throw the fish in the bottom of the boat? Land and release fish 1 while letting fish 2 just swim around with no tension. Or, pop off fish 1 and land fish 2. No real reason either fish had to be played to exhaustion or thrown in the bottom of a boat. A hooked fish with no tension isn't going to thrash around until it dies from exhaustion.

Or, don't fish with 2 rods if it's a difficult task for you. Problem solved.

14. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Hmm interesting post PT. it took you two weeks to come with that? you must be proud! as noted I did not fish with two rods again or can't you read.

15. PT

PT Physhicist

Proud of what? Pointing out a fish doesn't have to be thrown in the bottom of the boat because there is a fish on the other rod? Sorry for the suggestions regarding fishing 2 rods. I was only trying to simplify the process for you.

Btw, it took about 20 seconds for the post.

16. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

I landed 2 steelhead on one rod at the same. A 12lb buck and a 10lb hen. True story.

17. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

what color were the wing bobbers?

18. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

I was indeed fishing gear before I started fly fishing heavy. We were pulling divers and got a double on. The fish crossed lines and the divers tangled badly. Friction snapped one line and I managed to keep both fish on splitting off in a "Y", 20 minutes later 2 fish on the bank. It was epic for sure. A one in a million catch. When the divers reached the tip top I had to back them into the net.

19. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    I was out fishing a lake the other day and dragging a streamer on a sinking line when I spotted a nice size fish cruising just under the surface along the bank. At that moment I really wished I could just leave my streamer in the water and grab my other rod rigged with a floater and nymph and make a couple quick casts. I figured by the time I drug my trolling setup in the fish would be gone. That said, I'm not sure I would pay extra for a two rod endorsement as I don't see a situation coming up too often when I would want two rods in the water at once.

20. zen leecher aka bill w

Media:
    Springtime in the basin is a fun time for fishing chronies with two rods. It's best from a boat as two chronie rods from shore is hard. Harder than it's worth.