Two questions

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Split Bamboo, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Split Bamboo

Split Bamboo Member

Media:
    Any suggestions for a place to camp around the NF of the Lewis? I am taking the kids down to visit Grandma near the Bonneville Dam tomorrow. My wife and her sisters family are coming down from Tacoma Friday afternoon so we can all camp together over the long weekend. I am tasked with finding a camping spot somewhere between Mt St Helens and Mt Adams Friday morning. I want to avoid the crowded campgrounds, but I need to make it kinda easy for the gals to find the tents Friday night. We don't need a fancy state park, we can rough it. Of course, I would like to be able to get some fishing in! Any friendly suggestions? I am thinking somewhere around the Eagle Cliffs area.

The second question....Can you catch Piling Perch on a fly? We were camping at Joemma state park on the Longbranch pennisula last weekend. I was fishing with the kids off the dock. They were having fun catching sculpins and flounders, but they wanted to catch the 'big fish'. They were using some small jigs on their spinning rods. I was trying every fly I could think of, but no dice. Not even a serious look. Anyone have any suggestions? Not the best conditions for serious beach fishing, but I did manage to hit a few small blackmouth and a couple of small SRC's, so all was not lost!

Thanks,

Andrew