Two-Way Radios

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by David Prutsman, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Alright, I know nothing about two-way radios and thought I'd start my research here. I will be using this for hunting/camping. Some things I'd like to hear about:

-Reliability
    -Ease of use
    -Battery life
    -Battery type
    -Range
    -Quality vs. Price
    -Interoperability

Those are the things that immediately come to mind, please chime in with other considerations if you have them.

Thanks, fellas!

2. I have a set of 4 Motorala talkabouts. The newer realtree camo ones. Have had them for years now (started with those orangish yellow ones and upgraded). I've never had a problem with them at all. I got mine pretty cheap (watched sales). I know my old school ones, with some dialing in, work with the new ones (one is digital, one you have to thumb through until you get the right frequency). I used to get at least a good mile out of mine on open range. I had them on my old property so the kids could take them as they went out near the creek or pastures and I could easily get ahold of them. I've only had the Motorolas, so can't compare (outside of the cheap walkie talkies as a kid that sucked). I really like mine, and still have them. Just rarely use them anymore. But have them for certain trips with numerous boats. Can just hand them out and intercommunicate as we go downriver.

3. Pretty much the same as Jerry. I bought a Motorola set 15 years ago for $50.00, mostly for late season bowhunting for elk. Range is very good on flatter terrain, gets iffy in hilly country. A nice feature on these was an 'Alert' button: keep the volume down, but you could always hear the beep. They are great floating rivers in our 1 man rafts, we tend to hopscotch down the river, but always stay in touch. Bullet proof as long as they stay dry.Want to go Hightech? GPS with digital radios.

4. Let me tell you all about radios. Years ago at our duck club, one of my good friends, Rick Tucker, was out in what became Ricky's Roost. He crippled a bird which landed in the tules. Rick took off after the bird, and put his gun in the bow of the boat while he proceeded to pull it through the tules to the more open water beyond the weeds. His dog, excited as always, somehow stepped on the trigger. Either the safety failed, or Rick didn't have it on safe. The gun fired, blowing a hole through the side of the boat and his abdomen. It took several hours for him to die. The club bought everyone radios after that. If you're hunting with others, carry a workable radio, period. Or a satellite phone.

5. That is awful. One reason I got rid of my Ithaca 37...it had a trigger safety. To easy for a dog or brush to take it off safe. I was hunting the Clark Fork delta in Idaho, when I shot at a duck....three shots. Pumped the gun four times without knowing it. My friend said I hit it and start hiking to find it. I went through a thick willow patch. It was so thick I walked backwards to get through it. Somewhere in the patch of willow, the safety came off and somewhat later the trigger went off. No shells in the chamber so it just went click. That got me to switch to a double with a tang safety. Now when the gun is broken I KNOW IT IS SAFE.

On radio's I use Midland's since they do not have a squelch control. I could never explain the concept of a squelch control to my wife. I am not sure that the radio's are that different. DO NOT, HOWEVER, buy a radio that runs on AAA batteries. You will be swapping batteries constantly. The Midland's take a set of four AA's or at least the ones I buy.

Be aware that the frequencies on different brands of radio do NOT match the numbers on the dial. That is on the Motorola's channel 8 might be channel 1 on the Midland's. So if you are mixing radio's with friends check before heading out.

bennysbuddy and David Prutsman like this.