Tying background

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by wyofly, Jan 11, 2013.

1. wyofly Active Member

NW Wyoming
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    I just replaced my fly tying background from white poster board to white foam board and I have buyers remorse. Foam board cost me $4 and poster board is .49 cents. What do you use for a background when tying?
    [IMG]
  2. pittendrigh Active Member

montana
    Ratings: +50 / 0
    sky blue poster board
  3. S Fontinalis Active Member

Ratings: +180 / 0
    desk top, if its visible. or foam contrasting the color of thead i'm using.
  4. ScottP Active Member

Ratings: +819 / 0
    grey craft foam sheet
  5. Norm Frechette Active Member

Norwich, CT
    Ratings: +77 / 0
  6. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,592 / 0
    I've never used anything as a background, either. Guess my eyes are focusing on the fly and I don't notice the background.
  7. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +244 / 1
    No background but I will admit to enjoying a vase of fresh flowers within my field of view. Maybe its for a constant reminder of natural beauty and natural color. Not quite sure why, I just like them.

I also like a well cluttered tying area.

TC
  8. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    The TV or my favorite adult beverage are alway in the background. Never found a need for anything else.
  9. dfl Active Member

Sequim WA
    Ratings: +130 / 0
    An artistic composition of tools, spools of thread, feathers, hook boxes, plastic bags containing various materials, empty plastic bags, patches of elk, deer, moose and ??? hair, boxes of dubbing, tubes and bottles of adhesives, spools of wire, loose hooks, books, coffee cups with entire societies unidentifiable organisms evolving in them, fly boxes, a reel or two and additional quantities of ?????. My neighbor swears he's seen a small pony and two republicans scurrying around in there also.

An organized desk is a sign of a sick mind.
    Mark Mercer likes this.
  10. ken2cross Member

Lake Stevens, Wa
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Light colored laminate counter top on my tying bench. I too like a light background so I can see the fly with these old eyes.
    Man that's frustrating. I used to make fun of my family because they couldn't see without glass lenses.
  11. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +315 / 1
    My wife bought a package of thin cutting mats, like cutting boards and gave one to me. It's olive in color and that doesn't really matter. It keeps epoxy and other junk off the desk top and can be wiped clean now and then.
  12. wyofly Active Member

NW Wyoming
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    Good point Steve, my roll top desk needs protection from dropped scissors, glue and head cement.
  13. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +740 / 0
    The shit all over my desk and the concrete wall behind it :)
  14. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +786 / 0
    Wyofly's background is really his bench surface, too. I discovered long ago that I need to have a soft surface to prevent hooks, beads, and anything else that is light and bouncy from bouncing away and ending up in the carpet. I used to use a terry cloth towel, but recently replaced that with a piece of thin foam yoga mat.

My angle of vision while tying doesn't put that in the background, however. I tie with a magnifier light, so the focus is set for the fly in the vice, which puts the background out of focus.

D
  15. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +502 / 0
    I made one of these back stops out of my my bobbin cradle, because I never used it. I use it most of the time and I think it really helps when tying very small flies and when detail is important, and my desk is not often clean and can be a distraction. DSCN1996.JPG
  16. Tacoma Red Active Member

Kitsap
    Ratings: +302 / 0
    LOTS of little bits of hair, hackle, fur, tinsel, thread...
  17. ScottP Active Member

Ratings: +819 / 0
    Gene,

I really didn't notice (lack of) background much either until I started taking pictures and used the foam sheet for background; then I realized how much it helped my tying.

Regards,
    Scott