Tying bench, desk or other...

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by jkold, Nov 14, 2008.

1. jkold

jkold Member

Trying to create the ultimate tying bench and am curious to see what people are using... best part of yours, recommendations, etc...
    Post your pics!!

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Antique roll top desk. Full drawers on both sides, additional drawers. Lap bench, desk kit and travel kit too. Lots of cubbies, space for thread, tool rack, it works for my humble skills.

3. jkold

jkold Member

Sounds like quite the system! Any pictures you might be willing to post? I want to incorporate all those little items that make a great bench great.

4. Ed Call

Media:
    Sure, this was mostly before I had it all filled. Looks a lot less clean now, tying crap is everywhere. I guess I'm just a pig, but I've got a nice setup.

Attached Files:

5. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    Nice! I just got a small rolltop desk that I will setup very much like that! Thanks for sharing!

I'll post a pic, once I actually get it setup, although Mumbles pic's probably cover it! :thumb:

6. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Repost for those of you who didn't see these in the other thread. Moved the portable desk to another spot and replaced it with the drawers.

Attached Files:

7. jkold

jkold Member

8. Ed Call

Media:
    I knew that FDC would pimp his tying station. I saw photos of his and then went shopping for a roll top desk for myself. Mine is a bit bigger with drawers on both sides of the bottom, but those new drawers he acquired, stained and placed on top have me green with envy yet again. Note in his lap table setup before the new drawers went atop the desk, it has a billion spools of thread, more tools than a shop full of mechanics and tons of things I've never even seen in shops before. This guy must be a collector!

I would like recommendations on how to better store my thread spools. I have a cheap spool caddy that I've cut to fit into the space on the far back of the desktop, but the velcro tabs I used to hold it in place are not holding. I did not want to more permanently mount it due to not being decided upon if I want to keep it there or not. I though of using one drawer and put one inside with vertical spool spindles to hold them in place. What are all you guys using, how is your thread stored? Thanks.

9. Islander

Islander Steve

I usually tie at my large bench I built for my reloading equipment, but I wanted a convenient setup for quick work and some way to store everything. So, I got a cabinet section that was used in a dentist office. I put some casters on it, a top with three edges, and some wood paneling on the sides and back. The thin drawers are great for materials. I put hackle in one, maribou in another, crystal flash in one, etc. The lower fatter ones I have plastic trays to hold all my fur and hair, with room under the trays for larger pieces. The plastic drawers on top hold all my thread, bobbin spools, floss, and boxes of hooks. If I'm doing a lot of complicated tying I roll it next to my big bench so I can spread out with everything in easy reach. If I need to tie a quick simple pattern I just use the top of the cabinet. If I am going to travel and want to tie, one screw takes the vise off the base and it goes in a soft sided tackle bag. Then I put what ever material I think I will need in with it, a few tools, and I'm ready to go.

Attached Files:

10. Mark Walker

I like that set up Steve. I'll be keeping an eye out for a cabinet like that. Simplistic and functional. Congrats, well done.

11. Ed Call

Media:
    Man, I can remember working in a medical and dental clinic that totally refurbished and they threw out a hundred or more of those cart like sets of drawers. If I was a smart man I would have brought them all home. Alas, here I sit, typing to you instead of selling a customized mobile fly tying cart system.

12. Islander

Islander Steve

Thanks, Where in Redlands do you live? I went to U of R (72-76). Lived there until moving north in 1981. Steve

13. Mark Walker

The first block west of the U of R on Campus. I can see the tower clock from the front yard. Nice move!

14. Islander

Islander Steve

That's a nice area. I lived for a while in one of the smaller old houses on Olive Ave. Then moved to what was the edge of town then, on Church St. across from the Park that now has the baseball fields. There was only a couple of houses when I was there. Then they started building all around me and I headed north.

15. Mark Walker

Olive is a high dollar street now. Most of the older area homes have been restored by the Yuppies. You wouldn't recognize it now. All built to hell! Apts, malls, and subdivisions all the way north to the San Bernadino wash. Still fairly quiet around the university though. An 1100sq.' two bedroom,one bath older home rents for $1400/2000 a mo. This house was $95,000 twelve years ago. Now its $375,000 or more.
    Ahhh, the future sprall!
    I drive 240 miles one way to fish trout. (Bishop, Mammoth, Bridgeport, etc.) I envy you fellas with all that good water so close.

16. onlyflyfish4vr

onlyflyfish4vr Memories never forgotten

Here is what I have been using the past 23 years or so, that's half my life Yikes! I used a typewriter table/stand on wheels, now would be a computer stand, along with shelves and holders made out of pine and 3/8" dowels. Used brass cup hooks and l hooks for tool holders, magnets and eyebolts also. Epoxy dryer is a barbeque rottiserie motor conversion and has been working probably 12-15 years. A garage sale dresser and drawer unit finishes it off.

Attached Files:

17. Ed Call

Media:
    onlyflyfish4vr, that is a lot of stuff in a small space and is actually very neat and orderly. Next time you are out west of Seattle maybe I can enlist your organizational services in my pile of mess. Looks good and has proven track record of 23 years!

18. jkold

jkold Member

Thanks to everyone for sharing their ideas and personal benches. Really appreciate it! I'll be looking for some of those dental drawers for sure...

onlyflyfish4vr - great looking bench!

19. KEM

KEM Member

Media:
    How much you want for that? !!!

20. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media: