Tying in Throat

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Theron, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Theron Active Member

Near Coupeville, WA
    Ratings: +117 / 0
    I am a novice at fly tying. In anticipation of getting to fish for SRC in early April I am tying up some Keta Rose patterns among others. I have a question on at what point do you tie in the UV minnow throat. I have tried it after I tie in the silver body material and before I tie in the wing material and also last after I tie in the wing. I'm not sure it makes much difference but I was wondering if there is a preference.
  2. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Ratings: +770 / 0
    tying in throat is even harder than tying 'in hand':)
  3. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +315 / 1
    Depends on where you want the throat in relation to the wing. Some flies have it in front of, some behind. That's the beauty of tying your own. You get to make up your own rules.
    FinLuver likes this.
  4. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +435 / 0
    My preference is to tie it in immediately after winding the silver holographic tinsel body. I use x-fine monofilament tying thread for this pattern and it doesn't give the best grip on the UV Minnowbelly material so a little care is required. I like the pattern but think it is a bit more complex than necessary although, in Doug Rose's memory, I try to tie it true to his recipe. I think many substitutions could be made of more readily available materials. Here's my version tied, to the best of my ability, to the original pattern. IMG_0952.JPG
    flybill and ScottP like this.
  5. Theron Active Member

Near Coupeville, WA
    Thanks Preston, nice looking tie. I am tying up a couple of these using olive instead of the light blue to try out on the crappie here in Nebraska the next couple of weeks. I will probably give the light blue a try also. I am looking forward to my move to Washington and learning to fish the salt.
    plaegreid likes this.
  6. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +315 / 1
    I think when Doug Rose originated the pattern, he was imitating the Pink Fry as well. The blue blends well with the white and the flash to give it the non-par mark fry.
  7. plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +637 / 0
    I miss the I-80 sandpits sometimes. Be sure to post a report when you get out (whether you fish the 'pits or somewhere else)!
  8. Theron Active Member

Near Coupeville, WA
    Yes, I will miss the I-80 Lakes also although I don't get to fish them as often as I did when I was working on cell phone sites. For you Washington residents the I-80 lakes were created when Interstate 80 was constructed. They were created mostly by use as fill material for I-80. There are 58 of them in a 150 mile stretch in mid-western Nebraska ranging in size from 1 - 40 acres. They contain mostly large mouth bass and bluegill but some have crappie, channel catfish, small mouth bass and a few with northern pike. I always fished them with a float tube.