Tying Lessons

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by flasher, Feb 17, 2004.

1. luv2fly2 Active Member

.othello
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    one tip i use in my fly classes is if you have trouble with a concept work on that. for example if tailing is the problem then tie on a tail, cut it off and tie on a tail , cut it off, etc. this helped me with hair wings. for beginners the jam knot is tough. also learning to use a whip finisher, do it over and over without tying a fly until the idea is mastered.
  2. Big K1 Large Member

Duvall, WA, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I agree that you can teach yourself. That is how I learned to
    tie trout flies. I did take a class 3 years ago with Glenn Wilson
    on spey and dee flies and I am glad I did. It would be kind of
    hard I think to figure out the sequence on those two styles of flies
    without someone showing you. At least it was for me.
    If you want to tie some of the more complex flies it may
    be worth a class. I paid $75.00 for a class that was 4 two hour classes.

Kevin
  3. Mike Monsos AKA flyman219

Redmond, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +73 / 0
    When I learned how to tie I used video tapes and a pattern book. To learn some of the methods to make my fies come out better I would watch some pros on the videos. "Hooked on Fly Tying" helped me out a number of times and I can go back and review them when I need to at my convience. They have the whole catalog at ffvm.com (Fly Fishing Video Magazine) You might be able to rent them at a fly shop or check out the online king county library catalog.
  4. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +770 / 1
    It's always interesting to see what gets debated around here.
    IMHO, you should do whatever you can afford. There's nothing like getting advice/feedback while you're doing something. Try asking a book if your fly looks right...

On the other hand, I basically learned from books. Amato puts out lots of good "how to" books on fishing and tying subjects. The best ones show you step by step who to tie a pattern. One by Phil Rowley even discusses how to vary the pattern for your particular area.
    If you're at either of the show the next two weekends, see if there is an Amato booth and check out their books.

Roper,

Good things come to those who wade...
  5. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +839 / 1
    If you want to teach yourself, go to the Meydenbauer show this weekend and hang out at the flytyers table and ask questions.

Leland.
  6. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,225 / 0
    You gonna be demonstrating your beach popper this year Leland?
  7. PeteM Member

Snohomish, WA, US.
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    A decent online course can be found on Fly Anglers Online. Check it out before taking a class.

Pete
  8. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +839 / 1
    No I'm not. I will be at the show sunday, though. I spent an interesting evening at our WFFC meeting yesterday. Jack Gartside was our featured speaker. I met and fished with him way back in 1982 in Yellowstone. He tied his Gurglers last night as well as some awesome candlefish. We are to go fishing sometime today if the weather cooperates – maybe we'll have "popper-off" on Capt. Keith Robbins' boat.

Jack will be tying at Meydenbauer. I'd encourage all of you to go watch him tie.

Leland
  9. pwoens Active Member

Spokane, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    No one learns the same way. Try it on your own utilizing books, online resources, ect... If you are having a hard time and can afford the $$$ and allocation of time then sign up for a class.

I have learned everything on my own without a class. Some things I have picked up from dissecting other flies, reading books, watching videos, searching online, and watching others tie. There are some little tricks that you wont learn without guidance, but for the most part you can figure everything else out utilizing what has been mentioned. Best of luck and dont be affraid to ask questions.

~Patrick ><>
  10. hikepat Patrick

Des Moines, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    I am of both Schools of thaught. You can learn to tie flies that catch fish on your own with maybe a little help in the right dirrection. But if you want to tie really good flies that will catch fishermen and that are true works of art you will need someone to help you. My flies will catch fish and since starting on tying after last years trip to Dry Falls. A quick leason on the whip finish from members from this board that were there and the Orvis book on fly tying with its just 6 paterns plus information from the internet. I have already learned to tie many types of flies for both salt and fresh water. I have now tied many hundred of flies some look good some that look pretty bad. I now feel that I am at a point were watching some other much better craftsmen at the art, will really build on the skills I have worked out on my own so far. I will most likely be spending a lot of time watching some of the masters at the show this Saturday if I can get myself to take a day off from fishing to go.
    So I guess I feel you can learn to tie flies without lessons up to a point but at some point you will want to get some one to teach you some things as well.
  11. Jeremy Husby Is there a Vahalla for fishermen?

Arlington, WA
    I taught my self how to tie. I have been tying for only 3 years and I sell some of my stuff to hook,line & sinker in Arlington. I also have a page I have been working on with some of my stuff. http://fishing.sinfree.net now if I could only teach mys elf good grammr :) just do it your self and develop your own style. www.flytyingworld.com is a great place to start learning. I think they have on-line classes, or was that sexyloops.com, I forget. Hit the library, thats the first place I started. Also If you are going to mainly be tying trout flies, pick up some books on entomology, and study the proportion of aquatic insects and how they look. Think of how you can make a hook look the same way.
  12. Stephen Rice Senior Member

Wasilla, Alaska
    I agree with most of what has been said here. I bought one of those cheapy fly kits for starters and started tying flies with that. Man what a "Mess" So I invested in a couple of books and I got that video tying western flies by Lani Waller(really good) then I got the Spey and Dee flies by John Shewey. and I have been only tying for two years. I didn't have anyone to check my work though. So I just took them down the fly shop (river city) and got opinions from the guys down there. I have gotten really good compliments from my flies. but you know what the ones I fish with are probably some of the badly tied flies and I doubt if I would ever use some of the speys or dees I have tied they are a work of art! I love to tie.:7
  13. flasher New Member

seattle.
    Wow great input from everyone here. Now If I could convince everyone to get together some night for beer and tying wouldn't that be fun:beer1 :beer2
  14. Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Port Orchard, Washington, USA.
    New River Mike

That depends on how and when the beer gets drank and consequently what or who gets tied!

:7
  15. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,653 / 0
    Well I set him up today when I met up with him(Flasher) on the Snoqualmie. I lent him two books and a video on tying with deer hair. This should hold him for a while. That is until I start screaming at him that I want my books back.LOL

Jim
  16. flasher New Member

seattle.
    Books? What books?? as for those maps i could always mail them to you:) I have to go watch a video now:thumb

Oldman you're alright but your secret is safe with me:thumb :thumb
  17. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,653 / 0
    Maps,what Maps. Did I give you a couple of maps showing about 50 different fishing spots on two different rivers. I must of been out of my mine. Well not really as those are well know places. But I keep the good ones locked a way in my brain.

Jim
  18. Wakemaster New Member

As many of the fly tiers have indicated on this thread, one can certainly learn to tie flies by using books, videos and the like. And indeed, many of us are fundamentally self-taught fly tiers, including myself. However, I don't know of any of us self-schooled types who wouldn't have benefited greatly by having good instruction early on that would have made us better tiers a lot sooner.

If it is so darned simple, why is it that less than 20% of the members of your typical fly fishing club tie their own flies? As club members they presumably have better access to instruction than most. In my opinion some of it is due to having higher expections of the level that one can tie at than is realistic to expect even with instruction readily available.

If you want to improve the odds get some good instruction. And yes, I think that you are headed in the right direction as you were inquiring about fly clubs in the area on another thread.

Good luck! :thumb