tying on a stinger

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jason Rolfe, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +373 / 0
    Hey folks,

Just a quick question: is there any special way that you need to tie on the mono for a stinger hook? Or is it just a matter of setting a loop of mono over the hook shank and wrapping the thread over it. I've tried to find some tutorials or something online, but not having much luck. Any advice you guys might have would be great.

Thanks,

Jason
  2. Troutrageous Active Member

Yakima
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    Two slightly different styles. You wont need a 2nd vice for this, I usually just leave the mono loop hanging off the back, its stiff enough even with the hook stay out of the way. This shop (caddisfly) has loads of fly tying vids, many of which I've found to be handy - for example, they have a few different clouser patterns search their videos and you'll find plenty more ties.
  3. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    Ratings: +232 / 3
    I assume you are talking about attaching the mono (though I would use firewire, or other stiff material) to the front hook/shank - not the trailer hook. Run the thread through the trailer eye, around the trailer shank, then back through the eye. Then take both free ends and tie them down at the desired portion of the shank with the free ends pointed toward the front of the fly. When you have the desired length secured fold the free ends back over the top toward the rear of the hook and bind down again. Add a little super glue or head cement, then clip the tags. If you want to do a belt/suspenders thing you could fold the tags forward one more time and bind down again before clipping, but in reality unless you are using a massive trailer hook you will straighten your hook before the forward/back/glue thing comes undone.

Beaten to the punch by seconds. I basically described the first technique, but I don't usually run it through the eye of the shank hook as I haven't had a problem and I think it crowds the eye when you're trying to thread it on your leader at a later time.
  4. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +212 / 0
    I do what Rob describes. I have a fly right now that I've literally caught 11+ coho on with 10+ days fishing and it is holding strong. I used superglue and did the wrap to the front, fold and wrap back.
  5. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    Run the open ends of your stinger loop through the backside of the hook eye. Pass the hook through the loop and pull on the open ends. Now your loop is attached to your hook.
    Attach your thread to your front hook. Lay the stinger loop flat along the shank of the front hook. I always pass the open ends of the loop through the front hook eye. Take a couple of loose wraps around the front hook shank. Now you can adjust the loop length. After you adjust it, secure the loop the entire length of the front hook shaft. Don't go to far back if you intend to cut off the front hook. You can take the open ends and bend them back and secure them to the underside of the front hook. Clip any excess, throw a coat of Hard as Nails on it and tie your fly.
    I always tie in all my stingers so the hook rides point up on everything except clousers. If you tie a clouser with a stinger, tie in the stinger with the hook point down. The eyes will cause the fly to ride hook point up.

Consider getting some fine mono thread as well.

Hope this helps,
    SF
  6. SeaRun Fanatic Member

Northwest, WA
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    The field-dressed method of tying a clinch knot to the bend of the point fly and then tying on the trailer/dropper works in a pinch. I have a couple of trailer hooks already tied to a few inches of mono that I keep in my box just in case I feel I'm having issues with short takes. Otherwise I still prefer a single hook. Standard single hook patterns have worked for an awful lot of folks for an awful long time, so... good enough for me... Besides, just try and keep a big AK silver away from a tasty feather morsel... Inhaled. No stinger needed!
  7. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +315 / 1
    I tie mine like stonefish, depending on the size of the hook eye. Sometimes that's not possible so I do it the first way. As of now, I have never pulled out on any fish but it could happen, I suppose.
  8. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +373 / 0
    Great. Thanks guys. I figured I was doing it right, but I just thought I'd check and make sure there wasn't something odd that I was missing.

I think on one of them I tied up the other night I didn't do the fold back on the front hook--ended up ticking a log or something at the beach and pulled the stinger clean out, mono and all.

I appreciate the video posting as well, very cool.

Jason
  9. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    Jason,
    One other thing I forgot to mention in my previous post. Leave the loop long enough so you can change the stinger hook if it gets dinged or starts to rust. You won't need a very long loop to change out a size 6 stinger, but the loop length needs to be increased as the stinger hook size increases if you wish to change out the hook.
    You can get a lot more life out of your flies this way just by adding a new hook.
  10. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +46 / 0
    If you take the tag ends, like Stonefish described, and run them through the eye of the lead/front hook, and then last everything down with thread, you won't have this kind of accident happen. Most hooks you will be using for saltwater fishing will have a more than large enough eye to fit. Mono works fine, but ike someone else mentioned, Fireline is plenty strong for its size and reasonably stiff; Power Pro works great, too. I prefer to use the braids, if given a choice. You don't need superglue either, when you do the through-the-front-eye-fold-back-tie-down method. When I use this method for tying flies that involved a 2/0 or larger trailer hook, I epoxy the line. But for your purposes here, use the aforementioned method, and if you tie it down with thread, you can get by without superglue. Unless, of course, you accidentally hook that 40+ king and have tippet strong enough where you can put a big pull on it . . .
  11. Brooks Werner Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    Hey Jason-

I tie mine using similar technique but I use backing for my stinger clousers. I tie the clousers the same size as normal and have the eye of the stinger pretty close to where the curve starts on the main hook. It has been working great this year, four 7+ lb silvers so far and not a single failure. I usually destroy the fly on rocks and fish before I'd need to change the hook. I have been re-using the eyes though :)

Brooks