Tying the Shrimpzoid

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Matt Burke, Jan 24, 2005.

1. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Hey Matt, :thumb:

I think you just about locked down the all time best shrimp fly!

LB

2. Backyard

Backyard SANCHO!

Matt, I got the present you left me at the shop today...

I will put the shrimpzoid through a rigorous testing!

:thumb: Thanks!

3. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Just a little update here. This is in regard to the shank and attaching the shank to the hook. I sent a couple blanks for Jeremy Husby to destroy. This what he reported.

"Your hook gave out a 25lbs. At 20lbs. it was quite bent but would have held out. I would suggest using a Mustad for any large salmon, those take a beating and bend right back. Everything else held perfect, no line slip or anything just the hook."

This is great news as I had always wondered if the Gel-Spun line would hold onto the shank. Also, Husby the Hook is going to or has done up a few shanks tailor made for the Shrimpzoid alleviating the step of tying in the tail shank.

One other thing, Ron, at About the Fly, wants me to do a tying demo of the Shrimpzoid. If it's OK with him, I'll ask to do it SOME DAY IN FEBRUARY. For beginner tyers, It'll be interesting for you to see how a crappy tyer like me can make a good looking working fly.

4. Jeremy Husby

Jeremy Husby Is there a Vahalla for fishermen?

Matt, Just had to give every one a sneak peak at the new shanks. . . Hope you like them . . .I think they are right. . .

Attached Files:

5. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Holy crap!!! That is great.

6. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

THE NEW SALWATER SHRIMPZOID

7. JosephR

JosephR New Member

That fly is awesome...... If those hooks get made let me know. I would think this would make a killer crawfish pattern as well.....

8. FlyShopKristin

FlyShopKristin Going Online

Matt - are we on for next Saturday the 19th?? Maybe early - 10:00 - 1PM or so? I can't wait - I gotta see this thing tied up!!

9. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

I'll be there.

10. Sinktip

Sinktip Monty

Can we bring some of Davys' fishing buddies from the Sky?? Maybe 6 or 12???? :D :D
    Sounds like a fun time to check this thing out.

Monty

11. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

I dont get it...Why would anyone want to go to all of that trouble, just to tie a fly... :confused:

Why dont you just go down to the bait shack and buy yourself a real shrimp?!

Heck, the real ones are almost as good as Matt's! :clown:

12. Big K1

Big K1 Large Member

Matt,

Are you going to be at high bridge for the clave?

13. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Kevin

I'll be there Sunday in the morning and then I have to be at work by 2 or 3 or whenever I get there.

14. FlyShopKristin

FlyShopKristin Going Online

Kevin - we tried to make the timing early enough that you could still make lunch at the clave (if you're going saturday...)

Sounds like Monty is bringing Davy's 6 pack friends :rofl: - seems a bit early, I'll have coffee going... :)

I'm looking forward to seeing the 'zoid' tied - see you Saturday Matt!

15. Davy

Davy Active Member

I'll stop by with 6 of my friends and then head up to B.I.

16. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Matt, I'm still in awe over these things. Just want to grab them and eat them. If these don't catch fish, not sure what will. These would be best fished in tidal water I'd think. I'm thinking of tying some up to fish the Chehalis with. These are just plain awesome. May have to have Jeremy make me some of those hooks though. LOL. Not sure I want to go through the cutting hooks process.

17. Bill Peck

Bill Peck Member

I don't know if any one has asked this or not ,but how are these to cast.It would seem like that with the shanks of two hooks the octopus hook and the 15 wraps of lead plus materials it would be a tough fly to cast.Has anyone hooked up any steelhead on one of these yet?

18. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

It's like casting a rock on the end of your line. The big ones are weighing in at almost 4 grams and over heading with a two handed rod seems to be the ticket. The rivers are getting very low now and I'm tying smaller and lighter. Getting them to weigh in at 2 to 2.5 grains, which is still heavy. They sink deep and I'm also having to go without sink tips. SA short spey line seems to have enough ass to pull them up out of the water and send it flying. I am constantly changing these flies to adapt to conditions. I've gotten some killer hits, but still nothing to hand. Which isn't all that different from my usual fishing. Steelheading is Steelheading and it is a fun tie. In fact I don't tie anything else now. The fun will be coming up with a low water fly that is super light that will stay tail down and ride right, but maintain the look.

19. Jeremy Husby

Jeremy Husby Is there a Vahalla for fishermen?

I was able to cast it with a Lamiglas 8wt. 9', man my arm was so sore after about an hour. I really modified my cast to be able to do it, I would swing around off to the side on a back cast and then over my shoulder to shoot, like swinging an axe. I used a 15' sink tip and with in 5-10 sec. that pattern would be on the bottom, I would tighten my line up and it was a dream to fish it through rock any gardens. I try to stay away from weighted patterns, but I could feel where this was at all times, which really made it easy to work objects and seams. Thanx again Matt for your sand-shrimp epiphany, you have change my views on pattern design and function greatly.