Tying Weedless for Bass

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Randall Clark, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Brad Niemeyer

Brad Niemeyer Old School Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I find that if I tie a robust/stiff hackle collar near the hook point it serves pretty darn well as a weed guard. I can gingerly pull it out of pads and weeds without snagging. I think old time bass bugs were tied this way to get a degree of weedless-ness. Its soft enough to get a good hookset during the chomp, yet shields the point just enough through the weeds.

Chris Johnson and GAT like this.
  2. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for all of the tips. I got the one's like what Patrick found at Fred Meyer. Those should work really good for the pond I'm basically tying for.

3. PLee

PLee New Member

I tried to post here once but do t see it. I'll try again.

I'm new to fly fishing and do not yet tie my own flies. I fish the lilly pads for bluegill and other sunfish. I need to go weedless. Is there a way to do that using store bought flies?

4. Walter Spaulding

Walter Spaulding Member

Check out Cecil Guidry's Hell Boy !

5. Icanfly

Icanfly aka Matt

Media:
    I'll have to pick your brains for fishing topwater bass in Western WA. Had some luck two summers ago but struck out last summer. Down in AZ I used to use Dahlberg divers and frog type patters up top, along with damsel/dragon nymphs and copper johns either as droppers or by themselves subsurface. I get the feeling that floating minnow patterns and smaller poppers are more in order here? Leeches and minnow patterns subsurface? As far as weed guards go I usually do a single or double 20lb mono loop. I'd agree with what others have said though, they do tend to push off the one side and don't always work all that well.

6. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

Here's a blast from the past......do you remember keel hooks? I still have a few and they work pretty well.