U-40 Perma Gloss

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by _WW_, Feb 25, 2008.

1. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    Has anyone used this rod finish before?
    If so, what did you think of it?

2. FT

FT Active Member

Great stuff! It does take 4-5 coats to get a nice, no ridges visible finish. Plus, once you open the bottle, it will only last about 30 days before it is too thick or hardened to use. However, if you want an easy to apply, very durable, varnish type of finish, it is superb.

3. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    It is much easier to use than 2 part epoxies, but it will not give the same shiny clean finish. I do like the look of it, but know that it is different. It covers well on the small wraps, but on the bigger butt wraps, be prepared to put on multiple coats, like 8 or 10.

Wayne

4. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    Thanks guys, I think I'll stick to the epoxy...

5. wes.faul

wes.faul New Member

Home Page:
    A trick for this is to store the bottle upside down. The problem is that the small amount of air inside the bottle will make the finish set up, causing the stuff at the bottom to be un-reachable. In a pinch, I've even tried digging out some of the set-up stuff at the top. It wasn't good - by the time I got down to the un-cured finish, I had chunks all over inside it.
    If you store it upside down, then the finish sets up at the bottom of the bottle, leaving the good stuff at the top of it. It will last a lot longer that way.

6. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    After four consecutive batches of sticky results with flex coat lite, I was to the point of pulling my hair out. Since this was my own rod I decided to experiment before stripping it all down and starting over.
    I applied one coat of Perma Gloss over one of the sticky wraps. It dried perfect. So I did the rest of the rod and after fishing it for several weeks it seems to be holding up. This little experiment saved me hours and hours of work...

7. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    Another thing to do is fill the bottle with cleaned bb's as you use it... Keep the volume of air down, and the permagloss lasts longer :)

8. TomT

TomT Drinking deeply from the cup of life

Another possibility you might wish to consider is trying Spar Varnish or Polyurethane Varnish. Both work great, no uneven leveling problems as with epoxy. Basically the same technique as finishing bamboo rods.

I've used about 6-7 coats, dried overnight, then overall dried for about 2 weeks before taking it out to fish. A bit more tedious time-wise, but I like the results a lot more than epoxy.

9. TrappedinCO

TrappedinCO Help! I'm trapped in a landlocked state.

Media:
    WW - what caused your sticky finish with Flex Coat Lite? I've had pretty good luck with regular Flex Coat and others epoxies, but I've not tried the Lite version of Flex Coat.

10. FT

FT Active Member

Sticky finish with any of the 2-part finishes (what most folks call epoxy finishes) is the result of not having a 50/50 mix of resin and hardener. If the mix isn't 50/50, the finish will never dry and be sticky. That's why it is critical to measure 2-part finishes carefully and mix them completely. And to cut down on bubbles with 2-part finishes, after the resin and hardener are mixed, pour it into an aluminum foil lined pie pan. This disapates the bubbles and makes it easy to get a bubble free finish.

11. LG Mix

LG Mix New Member

You'll look funny with part of a fly rod stuck to you.

Sorry -- couldn't resist.
    -- Larry