U.K Pike

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by kosel80, Dec 7, 2008.

1. kosel80 Native Trout Fan

Hampton Roads Virginia
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    This isn't really a trip report for me,all the fish were caught with 3 miles of my house but I figured it might as well be in this category being in the UK and all. A couple of the photos are of the same fish and the guy holding the fish is my Father in law,not me. Thank you to everyone who gave me advise on flies for these guys! So far all my fish have been on some sort of deerhair diver,the actual pattern doesnt seem to matter,but they will not take a streamer. I think the larger shape of the deerhair body is mimicking the chub and whatnot in the river. Just for size reference, my rod is 28 inches from the butt to the first guide. The Pike are from the river Lark,which is famous for these smaller pike while other local river produce double digit fish regularly. Its hard to beat a river on the way to work though ;)

Attached Files:

2. Brian James New Member

such a creepy looking fish.

what do you do in the uk?
  3. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +131 / 0
    Pike are on my list of fish to be caught.
    I've never got the chance to go where there are pike.
    I have heard that pike put up a good fight and from what I have seen on fishing videos it looks true.
    Cool
  4. Brian James New Member

I've caught 'em on gear, they fight hard. I grew up in North Idaho, a lot of lakes have northern pike up there and people sight fish for them in the shallows - something I always wanted to do as well.

They're still creepy looking though.
  5. kosel80 Native Trout Fan

Hampton Roads Virginia
    The fish I have caught haven't been particularly hard fighter compared to trout. The largest I caught was probably about 7 pounds and I landed it on my 6wt without even getting it on the reel. This may have something to do with the cold weather we are having here or the fact that they are from a small stream,I'm not sure. A lot of the takes have been on the surface or close to it though,and they stalk the fly as you retrieve it so that really makes it fun! It may not be Steelhead,but its something to do over here! Word is,its grayling season,but I am having issues finding a place to give that a try. Looking forward to at least trying it though. and to answer your question I am in the USAF over here...
  6. Brian James New Member

I've always wanted to fish for Grayling.

I'm in the Navy, I could get shore duty in St. Mawgan in Newquay. That near your area? Never been over there, how do you like it compared to the states?
  7. devon flyfisher Member

devon,england
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Hi Guys,
    Regarding Grayling fishing this site has some very useful information about locations in the UK
    http://www.flyforums.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=33
    If you are missing the Steel Head fishing then don't forget we have our own version in the UK known as the Sea Trout.
    Cheers
    Richard
  8. kosel80 Native Trout Fan

Hampton Roads Virginia
    Seatrout sounds like a great time! unfortunatly I am deep in the fens with not alot of free time/money to give them a try. However I have heard rumors of grayling being caught in the river thet. So for purely economic reasons I think that is my next target. Thankyou very much for the information! perhaps I will be able to go after seatrout before I head back...i'll be sure to post a couple shots if I do.