Uinta Mountain Area

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by saltchuck, Mar 21, 2002.

1. saltchuck

saltchuck New Member

Anyone ever been over to the Uinta Mountains in northeastern Utah? I just found out my wife is taking me there in late September - early October for some fishing. I'd never even heard of the area before but she booked a day at a flyfishing lodge out there and I'd like to stay a few extra days and try some other local water. Any suggestions or ideas about what might be good over there? :CONFUSED

2. FishPirate

FishPirate New Member

Media:
    I have fished the Uintah's on several occasions. Where will you be? I can point you in the right direction, but it will depend upon where you'll be.

There are NUMEROUS lakes and streams in the Uintah Range, many with fish, many without. If you will be on the East Slope, then Flaming Gorge and the Green River (Utah or Idaho side) are absolutely amazing that time of year. If you'll be on the West Slope, then Strawberry or Scofield Reservoirs, or the Upper Provo or Weber Rivers are great. If you'll be on the South Slope, the Duchesne River is fantastic.

Send me a note if you'd like more specific information.

3. saltchuck

saltchuck New Member

Thanks for your help. According to the directions I've been given, I'll be staying about 15 miles north of Duchesne. From your response it sounds like the Duchesne River is worth a try? Any reccomendations on access?

4. FishPirate

FishPirate New Member

Media:
    It is definitely worth a try. I've never fished it that late, but it should be great---the browns will be in pre-spawn mode, gorging on anything that moves, and the water will be low and clear. I've fished it 3 or 4 times, and caught fish up to 22" on hoppers and elk hair caddis (usually around Labor Day). WARNING: there are some HUGE [>8 lbs] 'bows and browns in there--be sure to take some streamers.

Whenever I get down to that part of the world, I try to hit the Green, and if I'm headed south, I try to hit the Duchesne as well.

There are numerous access points along the road.

:THUMBSUP

5. Gary C. Brown

Gary C. Brown Les Paul Lover

Media:
    Having grown up in that area, I spent a great deal of time fishing the Uinta Basin. I took many Boy Scout hike's thru and around the Unita's, Dead Horse Lake Basin, Red Castle Lake Basin,
    all great overnight hikes with stream and lake action.
    The upper Provo drains out of Mirror Lake Basin, there is about a half dozen day hike lakes in that area and Mirror Lake is not a bad fishery although it is planted, (some albinos in there too).
    I have fished the area more recently though. If you are going to be on the Dushene you will do good, attractor patterns, ie: Royal Wulff Royal Coachman, Elk Hair caddis, in 10-12.
    Any of the nymph patterns, Hairs ear, etc.... same sizes...
    You should hit the Green River below Flaming Gorge, good bank access and float possibilities, it is worth the effort. Also there is a creek that drains into Flaming Gorge called Sheep Creek, it is North and East of the dam 20 miles or so on the Utah side, ask at the lodge there if you go. It is small but big 'bows if you catch it right.
    Good Luck and Rip some Lips.
    Release 'em and Rip 'em again........ :COOK

6. saltchuck

saltchuck New Member

Thanks to the both of you for your input. I know it's a long time away but I like to prepare early and get as much information about a new area as possible. Makes the trip that much more enjoyable. I'll give you a report after I get back.