Ultra-Meguh tube Shrimp, apologies to Mattzoid

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Philster, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Philster

Philster Active Member

Well, I was screwing around and decided I would try to simplify Matt Burkes crazy ass shrimp pattern into one that I would actually fish from a time/cost perspective. This is the first attempt and should be considered an approach since I haven't finalized it yet, just wanted to get it to under a ten minute tie. Stopping the clock just to take pictures it was 11:48, and that includes hunting around for materials and backing up twice when I didn't like the simplicity of a couple steps. Laying out materials before hand I have no doubt I could get these down to 5 minutes (bear in mind I have a commercial background).

So run with it guys! A back hump would be easy enough. I used the eyes I usually use on my squid patterns because I really like them, but extended eyes would be easier actually and alot less smelly (I use goop to glue on eyes... Blech...). personally with the schlappen, I think it has enough movement that the flat back doesn't bother me at all.

2. Philster

Philster Active Member

heres some step by steps

3. Philster

Philster Active Member

more steps

4. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

5. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

I sorta tied it like this, some poetic license from Philster and Matt.[​IMG]

6. Philster

Philster Active Member

Yikes! change the color and you've got a serious flats fly there! It's even a little weedless with the hook in the down position. I'm sure I'll rip it off at some point:cool:

7. Willie Bodger

Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Nice lookin' fly, but...

From some Tarpon guides that I have talked with, every time they see a fish taking an actual shrimp, it is done while the shrimp is swimming forward, not darting away backward, so perhaps a better/more successful shrimp imitation would have the shrimp swimming normally. I have a couple (one taht I tied) that I will try to get pics of before too long.

8. Philster

Philster Active Member

I was thinking of bones, jacks, and permit, not Tarpon when I mentioned flats fishing but
    I'm pretty sure as soon as any reasonably competent shrimp becomes aware of a Tarpon, they start back-scootin' so while I haven't seen a Tarpon eat a shrimp, I'd bet Tarpon have seen shrimp scootin' and are perfectly happy eating shrimp whether they are moving backwards or forward.

Shrimp jigs definitely have a tail and move head first, but I always considered that was for the fisherman not the fish. You know, we like to buy those rubber tails. Looks like shrimp do in the supermarket.

9. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Nice, It looks like a huge fancy scud with tail and hackles etc. I think that is how I would go about tying one of these.

10. looks like it would be perfect for steelheading over here