Umm? WDFW

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Dehlan G, May 8, 2010.

1. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Just a point of clarification regarding the trucking of anadromous fish over Sunset Falls.

My understanding that trucking will continue. Folks are not willing to give up the "natural production" of anadromous fish from the upper basin. As part of the recovery discussion of the ESA listed Chinook the decision makers consisted the production above Sunset would be consider mitiagation for lost habitat and is considered essential. There has been some changes in the Sunset Falls operation; These include the collection of wild coho and Chinook to include in the hatchery brood stock at the Wallace hatchery. The other change has been the sorting and removal of the hatchery steelhead.

Tight lines
    Curt

2. Matt Baerwalde

Matt Baerwalde ...

Media:
    Huh. Well whaddaya know. Thanks Curt.

Wonder what will be done with the hatchery fish that are collected.

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I think that they truck fish over the falls. That is any fish that spawns.. Sockeye, Pinks, I'm not to sure about Chums, Silvers, Kings. And of course Steelhead.

But the way things read is they are closing skinny water that fish can't get up to spawn. Olney Creek has a 90' falls on it. Upper N/F Sky also has a falls on it fish can't get up and over. But then if the road isn't open, it don't make no never mind. I could go on about rivers with barriers on them but it wouldn't do any good. Most are still closed.

4. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

I'm think I'm really glad that I only have two years to retire and leave this state of confusion behind.
    OMJ keep your eyes open for a house to rent in a couple of years.
    Moving to MT soon to be a fly fishing tycoon.

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I thought that you were retired, as you seem to fish all the time. I wish I could get out more, but the old get up and go has got up and left me in the dust. It's hell on getting older. You lose the desire to go fishing. Well at least I have.

6. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Hi, my name is Gary and I'm an addict, I'm addicted to fly fishing. I have to go fly fishing at least once a week or I might do something terrible.
    Damn OMJ, if I move out there i'm gonna drag your ole ass along even if you piss and moan the whole time. Screw mowing the lawn.

7. Trent

Trent Ugly member

Yes. Jennifer Whitney. That is the name I've been chasing down also. No return on any calls yet. All calls have been polite, but all have been ignored as of yet.

8. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Given the severity of the budget cuts the state has had to implement, WDFW has suffered reductions in staff with no new hires to replace those lost to attrition. Each of the survivors is most likely doing the work of two people. Be patient.

K

9. Rory McMahon

Rory McMahon Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I called today and talked to the information desk person, she said Jennifer has been doing field work the last couple days, she said she is the type of person who will definitely return calls, so I guess we wait

10. Porter

Porter Active Member

True, and in most cases, and by no fault of the worker, you get two half ass jobs done, incomplete work, unsatisfactory results, and general unhappiness by all, including the employee, or you can cut programs so resources (being employees in this case) are not thinned out so much as to be ineffective. Something as to give.

11. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    I like it when Gary quotes a Zappa song.

Thanks Gary...

Dave

12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Maybe instead of calling the office, a trip into one would get you better answers.

13. Rory McMahon

Media:
    Home Page:
    I got a hold of Jennifer Whitney today, she is keeping a list of streams that people call in saying should be open. Some places that were already on the list include SF stilly, Black Creek, Clear Creek, and I feel like there was another but I can't remember, I added Olney Creek, Youngs Creek, and Cherry Creek to the list. If you know of any other places that are above barrier falls that are closed for no reason, you should definitely call and add it to the list. Apparently these will be considered for reopening next year. Her explanation for the closures was to protect steelhead and since steelhead and rainbows are genetically the same and known to interbreed, native rainbows must also be protected. In the case of barriers to anadromous fish, she said there really isn't a reason to have the waters closed. Occasionally a fish will migrate downstream and add to the "steelhead" numbers, but it isn't significant enough to close the stream. It sounds like the WDFW didn't research it enough and they know it and plan on fixing it next year, but we'll see.

14. TomB

TomB Active Member

Rory,

Cherry and Olney both contain steelhead, coho, and chinook.

15. Rory McMahon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Not in the upper sections

16. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Media:
    Albums:
    Rory, thanks for chasing down this information. This is good news (if they actually do what she says).

17. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

Media:
    NO KIDDING! bawling: I am a Curtis Creeker. I talked to John Long, WDFW Anadromous Fisheries Biologist yesterday. He seemed very understanding and said closures were also mitigation for ESA Bull Trout. I told him some of my favorite streams I've fished for 10+ years are above anadromous barriers and I've never seen anything but wild cutts. He also mentioned that this is their first cut at ESA mitigation and indicated there is a possibility of reopening some streams that were not appropriate for ESA closure, but I'm not getting my hopes up. He put me in touch with his Non-Anadromous Biologist counterpart Jim Uehara, and left a message for Jim to call me. John gave me both of their direct phone numbers. I WILL get ahold of Jim to see if I can get some of my favorite water reopened, if only for FF C&R.

18. Matt Baerwalde

Matt Baerwalde ...

Media:
    What a joke. If they were truly serious about ESA mitigation they'd start hacking away at the hatchery program. But that's too politically unpopular! This is much safer for the agency in the short term.

Tyler Sadowski likes this.
  19. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

Media:
    The WDFW Biologists have been a pleasure to work with. Many are fly fishers too and are taking input from fellow anglers who know the streams intimately and will issue Emergency Notices to open for 120 days if there is no ESA impact, even asking if better June - Sept or July - Oct. I arranged to meet him to show & fish my favorite skinny water next month.

20. kamishak steve

kamishak steve Active Member

Media:
    The WDFW biologists are people, the WDFW is a f#cked up bureacratic government juggernaut that is underfunded, understaffed, and overly manipulated by misguided politics. their aim is easily managed hatchery ponds. you pay your 40 dollars and you can stand in line to kill your 3 fish out of a concrete bowl. then the state govt can damn all the rivers for power because there are no more salmon to protect, and no true anglers left to protect them.