Un Modelo Por Favor- Parte 2

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Mike, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Mike Active Member

Someplace between here and there
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    While it is the wrong time of the year to go to Baja's East Cape, it is the right time of year to go some place warm.

What was good:
    The weather
    The people
    The fish, there are some
    Using baits the size of the current resident Coho
    No crowds
    The price

What was not so good:
    The wind come around 11:00
    The economy (total lack of any tourists at all, except the wind surfers) Even the expats aren’t spending money. A fellow on the plane told me that Cabo was empty as well.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Diehard aka Justin

Seattle, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Nice pics, I love it down there.
  3. roh Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Go ahead and torture me. I'm driving down this coming fall for a month of camping and slinging flies. Loooks like fun is assured.
  4. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    that mackeral looking thing is about the prettiest fish I've ever seen
  5. Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Happy Hour, WA
    Ratings: +377 / 1
    great sierra shot! Nice report.........any escape from this weather is a good thing......Negra Modelo........yes please.
  6. Pez Gallo On the hunt for grandes

Max...the man in your photos is Capt. Juan Luis Garcia Castro, aka "Mickey" to his friends. He's an amazing fisherman for sure! I've learned a great deal fishing with him over the years. Hotel Buenavista is a great spot. We lived a couple of blocks away for years. Looks like you had fun. Good work!
  7. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +131 / 0
    Looking good.
    That is another place on my list of warm places to be in winter.
  8. Mike Active Member

Someplace between here and there
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    Pez,

The guys down there are getting really good at dealing with fly fishers. You still need to do your homework, but it is so much better. Juan introduced himself to me as Juan, I heard others refer to him as Mickey. It was a little confusing at first. He certainly knew what he was doing. Then, last year I was in San Jose and used a guide there for a couple of days. He was well versed in fly as well. That was through Eric Brictson. In Punta Mita, I fished with a fellow named Lorra. He ran a tight boat and knew his way around a fly rod. I remember, years before, it was always a gamble on how well versed a local guide was when you fished a fly.

If I recall correctly, Gary Graham’s house was (is) close to the BV.

I was surprised by how much Los Barriles has changed since I was last there 8-9 years ago. Two banks, gas station, strip malls and restaurants.

Max
  9. Pez Gallo On the hunt for grandes

Hi Max,

Yes, Gary Graham's old place, 'Rancho Deluxe', was just South of the hotel right on the beach. I spent a ton of time there over there years and have so many great memories of that place. Rancho Deluxe, the surrounding homes, and the old trailer park were bulldozed last year to make room for the proposed La Capilla resort. The end of an era for sure.

That's great you got to fish with Juan. He's the real deal. When i was new to the scene down here he did a good job of kicking my ass until I learned how to rig and catch fish Baja style.

The East Cape has indeed changed in the last decade but it's still one of the great spots in North America to fish.