Underwater fish images

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by Dennis Thomas, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Dennis Thomas

Dennis Thomas Active Member

Hey. I have always enjoyed looking at photos of fish underwater. Those images taken with the fish half in and half out of the water are really spectacular. Is there a book or article that I might find that could introduce me to taking those images? Thanks for any advice.

2. jmara6864

jmara6864 Active Member

You generally need a decent DSLR camera with some sort of waterproof housing. Outex makes a rubber housing that is the most affordable option for most major brands(about 300 bucks). The nicer housings are about 3 grand. My buddy and I have been using an Outex rubber housing on a Canon 7D and 5d lately experimenting with these types of shots and it's a lot more difficult to get a good half and half shot than one might think. GoPro photos just don't cut it. If you follow Fish Eye Guy on FB you will be inspired. I still have no idea how he gets such amazing photos. It's a blast playing around though. Practice makes perfect. Take a ton of photos and make sure the back of the fish you're shooting is at least 8-10 inches below the surface to get the right effect. Having plenty of light and gin clear water is a must. Water with any turgidity will ruin the shot. I'm by no means an expert on the subject but if you have more questions I may be able to provide more insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. joellirot

joellirot Member

Get an olympus tough. unbelievable quality photos. i have a nikon digital slr and i LOVE the tough. can't believe how awesome the pix of the kids in the pool come out.

4. gldntrt40

gldntrt40 Gone Fishing

Media:
    I second the Olympus tough..and then go DSLR w/ housing if funds allow