Uniform sink vs. old style sinking lines

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by bfic, Apr 8, 2010.

1. bfic

bfic Member

Several years ago they started selling sinking lines where the tip was heavier and would sink faster than the belly providing a more direct connection to the fly. SA calls them "Uniform sink". I have had several guys tell me they thought they caught more fish on the older lines where the belly would sink lower than the fly, some saying it helped keep the fly in the zone longer.

What do you think?

For stillwater fishing what sinking lines do you never leave home without?

Thanks

2. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    I still use it. DENSITY COMPENSATED or uniform sink. I personally think I catch more with it than a wet cell which does form a belly, but it depends on the situations.
    Wet cell is killer for weedy bottoms and specially rivers. DC you get a more level strip. I think DC is killer with leech, crayfish, and bait fish imitations, as well as nymphs. where Wet Cell seems better with the nymphs.
    Just me though

3. Plecoptera

Plecoptera Active Member

I have used and own both. I think each has its purpose. Traditional full-sink lines (wet cell) obviously form a belly which I think keeps the fly in the same depth better using the countdown system. Uniform sinks on the other hand are useful when your searching the water column or are wanting to give the fly more of a jigging up-down motion. I prefer the uniform sink for deep water chironomid fishing. Working drop-offs from the shallow end is another situation where I prefer the uniform sink. For trolling and working specific depths & structure I stick with the standard sink. Hope this helps.

4. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    Uniform won't form a belly. Wet Cell does. The tip of a Density Compensated line is heavier causing a "Uniform Sink"
    What is a Standard sinking line?

I am familiar with sink tip, Density Compensated Full sink, and Wet Cell full sink...am I missing one?

5. Plecoptera

Plecoptera Active Member

Oops, that was a typo. I meant to say standard sink lines form a belly. Density compensated sinks in a straight line. Sorry for the confusion.

6. FLYRODR

FLYRODR Guest

Get the uniform sink line. I've seen your fishing technique. You don't need a belly...

7. bfic

bfic Member

I think that answer makes more sense then anyhting else...

8. FLYRODR

FLYRODR Guest

Whatever you end up doing, I'm sure you'll be slaying 'em... see you and John up there later.