Union Bay bust

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by daveypetey, Aug 18, 2012.

1. daveypetey Active Member

University District, Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    Well, thinking that the Google Maps of the lily pads looked incredible for bass fishing, and walking along the edges on Thursday, I managed to post a big zero this afternoon. I rented a canoe and casted about every popper I had along the edges of the pads from the end of the dock up to about the end of the Union Bay Natural area. So bummed, although it was a really pretty afternoon. I didn't even see a fish. Anyone fish that area for LM or smallies? Are they not after poppers typically?
  2. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,033 / 1
    Sorry you didn't find them, but your skunk report is appreciated nonetheless. When I fished that lake for bass back in the day, I did so from my bass boat and gear.

Your at children's? What dept? My wife works the icu's.
  3. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    Here's my recent Bass report, hope it helps a bit.

I've had some luck on poppers, but most have been caught on buggers, leeches or damsel nymphs. Many of the fish seem to be tight lipped, but there are tons of fish around so that seems to make up for it a bit.

I was over on the westside two days ago and decided to hit Sunday lake since I was in the general area. I didn't have a watercraft so I was stuck on the public dock area. I couldn't keep the little guys from swarming my fly, but the lake looks great and is begging to be fished from a boat.
  4. daveypetey Active Member

I am a peds anesthesia fellow, so I am in and out of the ICU all the time. I have a few fly fishing caps I wear that she might use to recognize me, but I just started a few weeks ago.

Patrick, where exactly is Sunday Lake? I have googled it and it looks it's a good distance from where I live by the children's hospital. There were TONS of damsel flies coming off the edges of the pads but I saw nothing cruising for nymphs like I had expected. Maybe it was the sudden temperature change?? :(
  5. Drifter Active Member

Ratings: +634 / 2
    If I wanted to read about large and small mouth bass I'd go to the warmwater thread not the stillwater thread where this seems to need to be moved to. but i have mentioned this before about crappy posts and got kinda flamed - am I wrong? If so - what do we have a warmwater section for? bass have destroyed to many fisheries and I hate them so don't want to read about them! If I did i'd go to the warmwater thread! moderators what do I need to except on the stillwater thread - thanks for any reply! mark kraniger---- and IT was not titled "ABOUT BASS" So i read some of it not knowing it was about bass. My eyes might fall out of my head now. not meaning that anyone is wrong just want this clarified - thanks
  6. daveypetey Active Member

Although I am new here, it seemed that Union Bay was a) VERY still water in the area I was fishing b) in no way warm. Although the thread did include reference to bass (which are a wonderful group of species to cast a fly to), I would have been happy catching anything.
    Eyejuggler and Upton O like this.
  7. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,033 / 1
    Davey, excellent response. Mark is an extremely valuable member of this forum, but he does hate him some bass. Don't take it personal.
  8. Drifter Active Member

Yeah nothing personal - I just would like some clarification from the mods. we have a warmwater section for some reason and I know I wont be going over there and posting for reports on trout or talking trout on it's pages but it seems to happen here on the stillwater side. maybe this section should be called coldwater species for lakes or something - Or do the warmwater guy's need two sections for info and chat?

I was also trying to lighten my post by saying my eye's might fall out so not to make it sound so intense. sorry if I stepped on toes but I would like it separated so asked the mods about it so we wouldn't have to flame each other on here. But it seems I'm putting foot-in-mouth every once in awhile and get flamed but that's okay, It seems everyone does sooner or later. THIS SUBJECT FOR SOME OF US IS A BATTLE OF DESTRUCTION and the destruction is always on trout fisheries. If there is any bass destruction it is DFW departments trying to restore trout fisheries that have been destroyed not the other way around!

I will P.M. Chris Scoones about it. I might get shot down but oh well I just "GOTTA TRY" THEN I WILL KNOW WHAT I HAVE TO EXCEPT. And then can keep my fingers from cracking the letters on my key board.

The forum could be called trout stillwaters but I might want to do a steelhead stillwater thread soon. But then again they are of the trout species!
  9. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    Sunday lake is a small lake in Northern Snohomish county. You take the I5 exit for Stanwood and the go about a mile and turn right on Sunday Lake Rd. It's a 45 min from where you are. It's ringed with homes but has a small public access point where you could take a float tube or kick boat. I just decided to try it out because of a recent thread showing some monster bucket mouths, but I'm sure there are good bass lakes closer to Seattle. One reason to fish there would be because it's close to pilchuck creek and you could fish there also. In fact it's close to some great fishing areas on the stilly too.
  10. daveypetey Active Member

I would really like to read more about bass and trout competition for habitat if anyone can point me to some academic information. After living in a number of parts of the country it seems like the progression from trout water to smallmouth water in a given river as it warmed and lowered in elevation mirrored the habitat temperature in which each fish could thrive. :confused:
  11. Drifter Active Member

Not to be a smartass dave but we are not talking rivers, we are talking lakes where when bass are introduced they take food sources away from the native or planted trout or both and in many cases take the fishery over all together then bass fisherman jump up and down with joy that another trout fishery is destroyed and a new bass fishery is createed which being new big bass grow fast for a few years until they level out the food source and bass size starts to get smaller so bass fisherman start to look for a new "TROPHY BASS" lake to illegally plant more bass and destroy another trout fishery. And this is not just another state it is the northwest where bass are not a native species! I could go on but better stop there.
  12. daveypetey Active Member

Some other state. Classic.

Of course I am opposed to transplantation of most* any species into a non-native site and removal of said species normally is a good idea. That being said, I still love popping for bass! And so would you! :D

*Big browns in the Green can stay.
  13. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,116 / 4
    Not sure why talking bass in the stillwater forum is a no no but discussing sturgeon in Merrill is OK? Not at all jumping on ya Mark, as I have gathered a ton of great info from your stillwater posts, just trying to wrap my mind around where you're coming from. Last I checked all the lakes I fish are filled with non-native rainbows anyway. Anyway, in tired and cranky. Don't mind me.
    Patrick Gould likes this.
  14. Drifter Active Member

Well nick to answer your question sturgeon in merrill was about native cutthroat trout and a fish that did not belong possibly having an impact on native trout!

As far as rainbows not being native? In oregon any native fish of the state can be planted in any waters! Also any non native invasive can not be planted by law! but they get around these laws all the time.

By the way Chris Scoones never even answered my P.M so it doesn't matter - it seems I was=
    "WRONG" and except that fact! will no longer treat the forum like it was meant for trout not warm water fish and will not respond to warm water threads out of respect! Now to see If I can get Atlantic salmon planted in the forks rivers to take over the native steelhead of the state of Washington! MUST P.M. WASHINGTON STATE DEPARTMENT OF FISHERIES .I MEAN WHO WOULD CARE? maybe I can transplant them from Hosmer lake OREGON all I need is a bass boat with live wells - yeah that's it! rant over!!!
  15. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +262 / 2
    Somebody seems angry.
  16. dbaken New Member

Portland, OR
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I feel Mark's pain - to much tragedy with bass in Oregon. Two of the best trout stillwaters in the West, Davis and Crane Prairie, have been seriously damaged by Johnnie Bass Seed. Think of your favorite basin lake, (like Lenice) remove the most trout, and add LMB. Then have WDFW say, yeah, this is awesome! Now we can have bass tournaments and a bass hatchery!

Davis is a shadow of what it was - a few trout stuffed into Odell Creek, and thousands of swimming fish tacos. Crane Prairie is a bit better, but not what it was.
  17. Walter Spaulding New Member

Ratings: +1 / 0
    Hmm kind of scared to post any reply for fear of getting lambasted.But oh well here go's.I promise I will stick to the question at hand in regards to bass in Lake Washington/Union.I grew up fishing Lake Washington,Thorton Creek ,Sammamish Slough,Bear Creek Ettc.I am adamently oposed to planting bass ,Triploid trout,hachery rainbows ettc. where ever there is a populaition of native trout sutch as in Lake Washington/Union .I realize however that people don't respond well to hostility and those bass are fun to catch and if you hate them catch them and kill them /eat them.I digress.Starting at the draw bridge over the cut muddler minnows, buggers.leeches at first lite and at dusk on the S.W.side on a full sinking line should get you into some big smallies there's an undercut ledge that runs from the park to the bridge they come out to feed in low lite conditions on top of it.Arround the corner from that over by the yacht club where the weed beds and pads start under the 520 if I remember rite is another good spot for large and smallmouth.West of that is a small park cant remember the name.The pads get thick there.Best luck I had for large mouth there was had by casting large frog pattern weedless flys onto the pads let them sit for a few seconds then drag them off slow pause for a second after pulling off the pads then do your frog retrieve.There are some very large bass under and around the boat houses behind University Hospital any scullpin imitation will do.Incidentaly there is a culvert back there that some enormous 30-40lb carp hang around.While your back there check out the funny looking trout in the fish hachery.If you really want to hate hate some sqaufish.Lake Washington and Union are loaded.
    Tite Lines.
    daveypetey likes this.
  18. Brad Niemeyer Old School Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    The UW area has always been a tough one to fish. Tried multiple times as a student no luck. Finally figured out the bass thing when I switched from big lakes to small lakes. Anyway, top water is not all that successfull around UW... try subsurface and a slow retrieve. Big leeches buggers and crayfish will eventually hook you up with a big bass. More smallies and crappies than largemouth to be found in that area. Smallies like the manmade structures, largemouth prefer the natural snags.

Try for Smallies at Sand point/Magnuson park ( south end) they like the rocky shore there

Keep trying. Good luck

PS. I fish for whatever species is in the water, bass are fun.

Attached Files:

daveypetey and Eyejuggler like this.
  19. daveypetey Active Member

That his a hog. Thanks Brad and Walt. I will all of those places a shot post work this week. Brad, are you wet wading the south end of Magnuson? Or kick boating it?
  20. Brad Niemeyer Old School Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    You can cast from shore or if you prefer float along in whatever you have ( float tube canoe kayak) I like the float tube because it encourages slow methodical fishing which seems to be the best method for bass IMO. Cast up along the piers and docks count down to 10 then jig it back slooow. After you hook up, set the hook and wrestle those bass away from cover immediately. The battle is won in the first 5-10 seconds.