Union Hardware Company

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Joe Goodfellow, May 1, 2012.

1. Joe Goodfellow Active Member

DES moines wa
    Ratings: +94 / 0
    I want to fix this so I can fish it I've had it for 2 years. I got it from a older gentlemen who said it was his fathers back in the 20's or 30's.

Attached Files:

2. Mike Monsos AKA flyman219

Redmond, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +48 / 0
    If you would like to do it yourself there is a book by Michael Sinclair that is the bible on rod restoration and repair that has just been reprinted. Up until now the book was really expensive if you could find a used copy. Here is a link to where you can order a new copy at $75, http://www.caneclinic.com/#!handbook check out the before and after pictures tab for some inspiration.

Mike
  3. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +770 / 0
    Man, I can sure use that book; Thanks Mike, I'll be in touch!
  4. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,010 / 0
  5. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +215 / 1
    If you are patient and persistant in your search there is no need to spend $75 for the second edition or anything approaching $125 - $150 for the original. I think I paid $30 - $40 for my first edition just a few years ago. It is preowned but in as new condition.

Second editions always drive down the price of first editions because the first edition is no longer the exclusive source. People who collect books as an investment hate second editions for that reason. ABE's prices should drop fairly soon as the recently released second edition has its effect.

While Micheal Sinclairs book is an excellent focused and comprehensive text there are other sources of information for far less money for someone who just wants to fix a rod or two. Online forums and more than a few web sites can be a huge help.

A number of other rod building books include sections on repair work. Constructing Cane Rods by Ray Gould is one of them at $16 new on Amazon.

TC
  6. Joe Goodfellow Active Member

DES moines wa
    Ratings: +94 / 0
    thanks mike i wish I could get one of your rods but I' m poor