Unknown feather donation

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by DennisE, Aug 14, 2012.

1. DennisE

DennisE Topwater and tying.

Stopped at the Frenchman Hills tasting room in Royal City on the way back from Colfax this weekend. Parked to find all kinds of feathers like this laying around. I'm assuming it's from some sort of grouse/pheasant/prairie chicken that ended up as raptor food. I did my "cleanup" duty and stuffed as many as I could in a small cooler. Now I need to get creative and tie something up with them.

Anybody have any suggestions? I'm not good at tiny flies. I'm thinking 14's is about the smallest I'd attempt.
    Can anybody identify the bird? mms_picture.jpg

2. ganglyangler

ganglyangler Bird Dogs and Fly Rods

Media:
    Cool looking feathers. My uneducated wild ass guess would be an owl, based on the leading edge of the feathers. Someone with more knowledge than I will weigh in with the correct answer.

3. DennisE

DennisE Topwater and tying.

Unfortunately your wild ass guess was right. I found images online that exactly matched these. Since ownership of them is illegal in the US, they're going in the trash. It's a waste, but not worth the risk, especially since my dumb a** posted the pictures!

4. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Look like Barn Owl feathers. these things fly so low that they are frequently struck by vehicles.