Unsticking a Spey Rod

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Dave Westburg, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Dave Westburg Member

Kirkland, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +21 / 0
    A couple sections of my spey rod won't come apart. Any bright ideas on how to unstick them?
  2. SpeyRodBeBop Member

Mission, British Columbia.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Two people with one hand on either side--pull straight.
    Run the female side of the joint under warm water to expand it and try again.
  3. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +660 / 5
    Something that has always worked for me is to put the stuck pieces behind your knees and twist with your hands. If needed, use a towel for extra grip. But has helped unstick seized rod pieces usually.
  4. Rich McCauley Meiser & Mohlin

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    Both the behind the knees and two person method work well. I would however, suggest you place the MALE section in cold water to contract it. I am sure may of us are Personally familiar with the result :)
    Expanding the female ferule will just tighten the connection.
  5. Backyard SANCHO!

The River, WA.
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Just spray'm with the garden hose... :rofl:
  6. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +657 / 0
    Break it over your knee and send it in to the factory for replacement ... :eek:

Try using some rubber grips to hold the rod sections in your hands to twist apart.

I use a few sections of the non-slip rubber matting that they sell for drawer bottom liners and to use under typewriters, adding machines etc, to keep objects from skating off of the desk. It works amazingly well. Keep your hands close together on the rod sections, very close to the ferrules. If you twist the rod sections you will damage or destroy them.

You can run hot tap water on the female or outer ferrule, try to keep the water off of the inner or male section, do this for one minute. The rod should be at room temperature to begin with. Then try twisting apart. Keep your hands close together on the rod sections so you dont twist the sections themselves and collapse the rod walls.

If you feel like you need to use some kind of tools or pliars to get the sections apart- DONT DO IT!

Send it in to the factory for them to get apart or replace.
  7. inland Active Member

Ratings: +47 / 0
    Ice it. I have yet to come across a rod, even if you used paraffin, that won't come apart once you bring it down to freezing. Depending on how stuck it is, it may still require the 'creative' methods of pulling to get it apart. Rubber surgical tubing tightly wrapped around the blank will give you enough grip. I don't recommend twisting the rod: They will break if you over-do it. Pull straight and strong. Might need two people.

William
  8. wet line New Member

Burien, WA, King.
    I have no idea why this worked for me a couple of times I got a rod stuck. I payed out about 30 feet of line and false casted with authority for awhile. Presto, the sections loosened up. Problem solved and I learned to not give a little twist to the sections as I put the rod together!

Dave
  9. Dave Westburg Member

Kirkland, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +21 / 0
    Great advice Inland! I left the stuck sections out in the cold for a couple hours last night and they came apart easily.
  10. Bug Fisher Member

Vancouver, Wa, US.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    The ice idea sound like something I will try next time.

I only had this happen to me once. It happened this fall on the Klickitat. When I put the rod together in the morning, the temperature was below freezing. When I tried to take the rod apart in the afternoon, the temperature had warmed to near 70 degrees. I attributed the problem to the severe temperature change. Next time I am encountering this type of condition, I may try taking the rod apart and putting it back together a few times throughout the day. That is, if I remember too.

Bug