Upcoming Maine Trip

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by LCnSac, Aug 3, 2014.

1. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Wife and I are going to spend a week in September in Maine. We have no agenda, no reservations. We've been before but mostly along the east side. We're going to focus more on the west side this time.

I'd like some recommendations for places to fish, and even see or stay if you've been. I am going to try to fish the Penobscot for bass, that's all I have down now. Wife doesn't fish much any more so won't be doing a lot. Thanks!

2. kmudgn

kmudgn Member

http://forum.flyfishinginmaine.org/viewforum.php?f=1

There's such good water in Maine it is hard to know where to start. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time with Bass on the Penobscot. I would go to the West Branch (Big Eddy) and take a shot a good trout and maybe a LL salmon or two. Maine is so large (for an Eastern state) that it can take 6-8 hours to get to some of the fishing so you should try to focus in on the area you are visiting.

3. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Maybe both, thanks for the recommendation.

The reason I put smallies up top is that where I live there is not very good smallie fishing in rivers, so it's something I don't get to do often. Also, I got the impression that local waters were getting too warm for trout. I don't know how big they are either--the pics I've seen don't look like a lot of size. Do Atlantics fight well in rivers? My only experience is on an Oregon lake and they don't fight that hard there. That's all I know, thanks.

4. kmudgn

kmudgn Member

Atlantics and Land Locked (LL) are different fish even though they are the same species. Runs of ocean going Atlantic Salmon up into the rivers in ME is essentially extinct except in very few places. If you want Atlantics you need to go to New Brunswick Canada. LL Salmon are a wild and good fighting fish though. They are taken in manners similar to Trout. Trout in ME run from tiny to large (whatever that means). A "good" trout in Maine will be 16 inches plus, but most you get will be in the 10-14 range. The rivers in Northern Maine while warm now will be cool enough to produce good fishing by the second week of Sept. A lot of Maine waters close on Sept. 30 for the season though. If you are in Western Me consider the Rangley and Moosehead areas. There are a number of well known rivers in that area (Magalloway, Rapid, Androscoggin, East Outlet, Roach, etc.) with generally good access and "easy wading (except for the Rapid). If you fish times other than a weekend it wont be too crowded. I can recommend a few guides if that is something you have an interest (send PM).
    One final note: The time period from the second week of Sept through the first week of Oct. is very busy in Northern New England with many tourists doing the "leaf peeping" dance. Many places and roads will be crowded, but the fishing is generally not impacted too much.

5. Alosa

Alosa Active Member

If you have your heart set on smallmouth bass, you should check out the lakes of the St. Croix watershed (Grand Lake, Lake Spednick, etc.)on the eastern side of the state that border New Brunswick. I've hauled some monsters (4+ lbs.) outta there!

6. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Good to know Alosa! I'm packing my pontoon so I'm ready for most anything. Are blues in now? I'd love to try that too.

7. Alosa

Alosa Active Member

not sure about bluefish, but I hear their a blast on terminal tackle....can't imagine what they'd be like on a fly. You'll probably want a menhaden fly for that.

8. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    I second the recommendation of the West Branch of the Penobscot. You could fish it from your pontoon or from the shore. These are landlocked Atlantics in the 12 - 16" range typically. [You can also have some fun with brookies in some of the lakes of Baxter State Park. I remember having some success in Nesowadnehunk Lake in Baxter in the early 2000's] It is not hard to find smallmouth in the main-stem Penobscot. Just below the tidewaters of the Penobscott in Bangor, you should encounter stripers. You can also fish for stripers, mackerel, and blues off the rocks of the Gulf of Maine. Try bunker (Menhaden) flies. eel, or small mackerel flies.
    Steve

9. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Slight change of plans. Instead of heading west, we're going to continue east and see New Brunswick and Nova Scotia too. Still planning on fishing the Penobscot, and if the West Branch could be fished without a guide from the bank that's on the list, but some of the big brookies in NS sure look enticing and it looks like road fishing too.

Everything east of Winter Harbor is new territory to us so we're pretty excited, and the thread has given me some great ideas too, thanks, keep them coming!

10. k2flyguy

k2flyguy New Member

Kmudgn gave you some great info, and I have nothing to add other than to second (or third) the West Branch of the Penobscot for landlocked salmon and brookies. Additionally, the East Outlet should really be heating up in September with the chance at some very nice salmon. You can fish both from shore, but it's better by boat. Honestly, just about any trickle in the areas mentioned will have native brook trout and can offer a lot of fun. If you really want the chance at some trophy brookies in their fall colors, head to the Rapid. Lakewood Camps is a good place to start.

As far as New Brunswick goes, you may want to look into whether you legally need to fish with a guide. I know you do when fishing in drainages with anadromous species. Nova Scotia may be the same.

11. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    All set with a guide for the Penobscot who said I can fish the West Branch on my own pretty easily. He said trout are pretty slow there now but there are some landlocks. He too recommended the Atlantics in NB.

Other than the guide date, we have no particular plans or agenda, just keep heading into the Down East and over the border to NB to look around and fish some. Staying in Portland the first night--we really like Portland. We've only been as far east as just above Bar Harbor so it's going to be a lot of new stuff for us. VERY helpful recommendations, thanks so much.

More always welcome, especially food/restaurants, which has been a bit of a letdown for us in Maine. We really don't want to eat at the pounds every night like last time. Great deal, but neither of us are all that excited about lobster.

12. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Media:
    I spent 3 days in Portland when I interviewed for medical school there a few years ago. I thought the food was very good. Maybe I got lucky. I can't remember any of the names of places now though. My strategy was to walk around and stop someone on the street that looked like they knew the area and ask them where they like to eat and go there. Sometimes that fails, but there wasn't a miss on that trip.

13. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Sorry, not Portland. Plenty of good places there. I'm talking about further up the coast in the smaller towns. We're flying into Boston and we love the fresh seafood there too. Actually everything about the place.

14. cabezon

Media:
    It has been at least 15 years, but my wife and I really liked our visit to Cape Breton, the far east of Nova Scotia. Each village is different: Scott, English, French and has their own feel and style. I caught my first Atlantic there on a dry fly (bomber); I did need a guide (not that the guide did that much). I also fished for brookies (not huge but eager) in a great little creek. There are pilot whales and dive-bombing gannets off the coast. And it is very picturesque.

Steve

15. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    That's what we wanted to do, go to NS too, but if we're fishing on a Tuesday and flying out of Boston on a Saturday it's probably pushing it?

16. cabezon

Media:
    Yes, that is far too ambitious an agenda for a week; the drive to Halifax alone is 11+ hours and 13 hours to Cape Breton from Logan (subtract five hours from Bangor). You can hike in Baxter State Park (near the West Branch) or Acadia National Park (on the coast), fish for stripers and mackerel off the rocks at several points along the coast, take a whale-watching trip into the Gulf of Maine, etc.

Steve

17. ribka

ribka Active Member

The Androscoggin River has very good fishing for large smallmouth bass ( 20 inches not uncommon) plus it has a decent number of sea run browns. Places to rent a canoe in town. Float down below the dam.
    Fish the mouth of the Kennebeck on outgoing tide for stripers , blues out by the fort/beach chartruse clousers and large mack flies on clear intermediate lines. Casco Bay has decent wade fishing for spot and stalk fishing for stripers too.

18. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Luckily we've pretty well done Acadia so we have time for new stuff. Six hours from Bangor is an easy day's drive, assuming the roads are good--remember we're in CA and used to quick jaunts to LA (6.5 hours) and used to make the RT in a day on occasion. We're the same distance from Sunriver as Seattle, and don't think a thing of it; we hear about it from them though.

19. kmudgn

kmudgn Member

95 North of Bangor to the Canada border (Houlton) now has speed limit of 75