Upcoming tides preview of rising sea levels?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jonathan Stumpf, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Jonathan Stumpf

Jonathan Stumpf I don't care how you fish

2. Blktailhunter

Blktailhunter Active Member

Another Inconvenient Truth. Just another scare tactic by those protecting their paychecks.

3. The Quan

The Quan member

Agreed !

4. wannafish

wannafish In search of Blinky...

No matter what you believe about global warming or its causes, some sea-level rise is likely to happen. All I can say is there isn't much margin of error for the flats around westport - the water was right below the edge of the highway this morning!

5. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

They got caught on the Global warming thing so now they have to come up with another slant.
    Global change is normal and just because folks build things at the high water mark does not mean that it will not change in the future.
    That is a fact.

Washington state is a lefty state.
    If you doubt that try sending a message to our two state senators and see what you get.

6. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Oh, here we go again! I'll believe and stick with the science, before stupid political conservative uninformed rants!

7. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

What is wrong with trying to minimize our impact as humans
    on the world we are stewards of.

To deny science is :beathead::beathead::beathead:

Dave

8. Olive bugger

Sorry I ruffled your feathers. I did not intend for my statement to be political, but factual.
    You are correct in your suggestion that I am a conservative, however I try to be informed
    rather than emotional about such issues. Especially the environment.

I still suggest that the current hysteria on the box about global warming is nothing more than
    a scare tactic by a select few for monetary gain from the many.I am still awaiting the hard
    science of the fact.

I do not deny that there is change in the climate, but I seriously doubt that you or anyone
    can change it. It is called nature.

If you doubt my statement about our two state senators, send them an e-mail and see
    what response you get. I hope yours is more informative than mine.
    That is all I have to say about the issue.

9. gt

gt Active Member

a couple of years ago, i talked with a scientist collecting data on the dungeness spit. i asked him about the breaching of the spit that i had observed and he told me that as little a sea rise of 6" would guarantee that the dungeness spit would no longer be able to self heal. i am sure there are other low lying areas that are also going to be dramatically impacted as the sea levels rise.

and lets see, today's PI, the glaciers on rainier are melting back and letting loose of the material they have held frozen for who knows how long. just another 'fiction' created by someone to 'scare' those who can't look around and observe just what is going on right before their noses. too bad, but as the man said: '...you can lead a horse to water...'

10. Blktailhunter

Blktailhunter Active Member

The Antarctic Ice Cap contains 90 per cent of the world’s ice, and 80 per cent of the world’s fresh water and is growing, and you are worried about a glacier on Mt. Rainer? You are right ...'you can lead a horse to water...'

11. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

still getting used to new format, posted twice, sorry.

12. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Ya gotta help me here. I keep reading that "they" are inventing global warming for monetary gain, but nobody ever says who they is, or how they're going to profit from the hoax. The reports and studies I read are generated by people with government and university salaried jobs. Technology and industry are modernizing power and transportation, but that's been going on since we evolved from riding horses to work and carrying water by hand.

I'm not being argumentative, what is it I'm missing?

13. Seems to me that using our brains to figure out how to pollute less is a good idea whether the pollution is causing global warming or not. People commit suicide by locking themselves in their garages with the car running, why wouldn't we want to minimize that junk in our air?

The conservative hate radio nuts have done a good job getting people to question "the science" rather than consider the overall goals which is less pollution. It's easy to confuse people about science but not many people would argue in favor of more air pollution if they knew that's the real issue, IMHO.

JR

14. Tod Fossetta

Tod Fossetta Sorry, I'm not set up for that.

Well, I don't know who all of "THEM" are, but here is an excerpt of what one of "THEM" is making per lecture, to spew his "scientific" truths. It's funny he asks for a hybrid to pick him up after his PRIVATE FRIGGIN JET touches down, hmmmmmmm...........

JULY 17--If you're looking to book Al Gore for a 75-minute "Environmental Multimedia Lecture," the former vice president will cost you $100,000, plus travel, hotel, security, and per diem expenses. Gore's standard speaker's contract, a copy of which you'll find below, also stipulates that the Democrat's ground transportation be "a sedan, NOT an SUV." Additionally, Gore requests that speech sponsors make every effort to use a hybrid vehicle for his transport. The Gore contract, which is more restrained than the one used by Rudolph Giuliani, stipulates that no press be permitted at the event and that the Democrat receive approval over the distribution of photographs from the appearance. Gore's contract for a May 21 appearance at the University of California, San Diego was released by the school. Though the contract seeks "absolute confidentiality" when it comes to the deal's terms, since UCSD is a public university, the California Public Records Act requires that the document be released upon request. (5 pages)

15. Milt Roe

Milt Roe Member

Back on topic fellas.

One of the confounding factors in our area is that the land is subsiding, making tides appear higher on the shore over time even without an increase in the ocean level.

16. Olive bugger

Nice looking boat Milt

17. riseform

riseform Active Member

Google "Climategate"

18. Kim Hampton

Kim Hampton Not Politically Correct

"Wannafish" I'm wondering where around Westport you are talking about

Regarding Milt's quote...this takes me back to my college days 1970 or 1971. I took a basic oceanography class at Grays Harbor College. One of things that was done in the class was measure the lateral drift along the ocean beaches and then compute how long it would take a grain of sand to travel a given number of miles. The lateral drift is usually in a Northerly direction. One of things we learned back then (which might not be the current standard of thinking) was the sand on the beaches North of the Columbia river was supplied by the Columbia's runoff of silt. With the building of the dams which is one of the reasons we have fairly cheap electricity we blocked the runoff of the silt. Peacock Spit at the mouth of the Columbia continued through the years continued to supply the sand on the beaches but it is supposedly getting smaller and smaller due to the damns blocking a lot of the silt thus supplying less sand. The beach around Westport has changed a lot from what it was when I was a kid and I don't think it is from a rise in sea level.

19. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I live in the third row of houses back from high bluff. How long is it going to take for the annual erosion to give me the waterfront property I covet but can't yet afford? Do I need to carry my waders in my rig all the time because the rise will be sudden without further warning? I just got a newer vehicle that gets 4 more MPG than my former one, is my carbon footprint reduction effort going to make a difference? Science shows over long term history that our planet periodically goes through its own recalibration process through processes totally out of our control. By improving what we can we may make a slight contribution, but when recalibration is needed you best not stand in its way.

Off for the popcorn!

20. gt

gt Active Member

true, mumbles, unfortunately for all of us what used to take hundreds of thousands of years is now happenning in our lifetimes, kind of different i would say. now the bluff at dungness spit has already collapsed in 3 seperate locations so far this winter. depending on what soils makes up 'high bank' you may have your wish of higher taxes before yah know it.