Upcoming tides preview of rising sea levels?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jonathan Stumpf, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Jim Welch

Jim Welch Veni, Vidi, Fishi

I am not the one saying it, people far more knowledgible than I are saying it.

The thing I am trying to avoid is the manipulation of those that use this as a vehicle for their own benefit.
    Should we be polluting rivers-NO, use bad forest practices-NO, dirty the air so its harmful for breathing-NO, harvest beyond the ability of resources to sustain themselves-NO, but man made global warming falderal-that dog just don't hunt, and who is profitting from it, people like Mr. Gore (http://www.riehlworldview.com/carnivorous_conservative/2007/03/al_gores_inconv.html) . The eco-industrialists that benefit off of the hysteria centered around global warming are laughing in their Lear Jets.

Time to stop drinking the Kool-Aid and start drinking more beer.

2. jmwfish224

jmwfish224 You know what it is!

Interesting...

"Should we be polluting rivers-NO, use bad forest practices-NO, dirty the air so its harmful for breathing-NO, harvest beyond the ability of resources to sustain themselves-NO"

You are saying that we shouldn't feed the hysteria. I see your point. But why feed the corporations that do all of the things on your laundry list above?

"The thing I am trying to avoid is the manipulation of those that use this as a vehicle for their own benefit." Big business, pro consumption leaders are all about personal gain. I'm not worried about Al Gore's DVD sales, I'm worried about lumber companies who destroy our watersheds, factories that produce disposable goods (to feed our country's consumption) and in the meantime pollute our rivers, and oil barons/motor companies who push the last of their oil supply to make enormous gains (while polluting the air).

These people are far more powerful than Al Gore and Leonardo Dicaprio and use the degradation of the environment as a vehicle for their own benefit.

"Time to stop drinking the Kool-Aid and start drinking more beer."

Classic head-in-the-sand mentality.

3. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

I'm not worried. Its not that I don't care. Its just that I live on the coast, and according to seismological experts, there's an 80% chance of a huge subduction zone quake here, on the order of 9.1 Richter Scale, in the next 50 years. The resulting tsunami would be a t least 10 feet and completely wipe out the coastal area in which I reside. Realistically, by the time the tsunami warning sirens go off, there will be less than 15 minutes to make high ground. That's less than 15 minutes to grab your survival items, get in your vehicle and drive there. I won't wait for any sirens. A big quake, I'll grab some cliff bars, bananas and water, a sleeping bag and parka, whatever else I can grab running out the door, then jump in my rig and drive the 3 miles to Bunker Hill.
    This makes every other climate change and changing sea level problem moot, from my point of view, until I move to the hills!

4. Jim Welch

Jim Welch Veni, Vidi, Fishi

Its not so much going after "the corporations that do all of those things" that is the answer, because I sense you look at going after the corporations. Corporations are nothing more than a group of people working together to compete against other groups of people providing products and services to the marketplace. About the only corporations you "go after" are american ones, but that really wouldn't solve the problem would it, it would wreck our economy while bolstering non-american companies. besides, there are enough laws already on the books to deal with polluters. I dont have the numbers but billions have been spent on superfund clean ups and environmental laws that are incredibly restrictive, and the only people really profiting from this are the lawyers.

If you want to go after anyone, you need to educate the marketplace on where they get their products and under what conditions those products were made. This will affect the corporations bottom line, rather than feed a bunch of lawyers.

5. jmwfish224

jmwfish224 You know what it is!

Jim,

I completely agree. Educating the public is by far the best thing we can do. Unfortunately, most business leaders and politicians on both sides of the aisle don't want this to happen. You're right on that we can't just quit buying goods from American companies. As a matter of fact, I think we need to support American companies as much as possible, we just need to be careful which ones we're supporting. I think the biggest form of protest you can accomplish comes in the form of how you spend your dollars. Education is key but there has been a fairly steady decline in the way the Americans view education over the past few decades. Oh yeah, and advertisers and companies are getting better at creating false images and covering up information that would be useful to the public. Conscious citizens are getting harder and harder to come by and that will be very detrimental for this country moving forward. Lawyers are a greedy bunch but they have their place in society. Good lawyers exist, its just that they are about as rare as wild steelhead these days. What a shame...