Update: Panfish in Pass Lake

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by aaron j, May 20, 2005.

1. aaron j

aaron j Member

Media:
    I fished Pass last night from 6:45 to 10:30 pm, and had the lake to myself. The water is 65 degrees and still relatively clear of algae. In addition to a handful of nice rainbows 16-19" and one 19" brown, I had the displeasure of bringing to hand three panfish, and had several other hits that felt the same.

I've never caught an actual bluegill, only pumpkinseed sunfish; but these fish were neither, being mostly green in color, more elongated and with blue markings on the gill plates. After surfing the web this morning, I found what I believe to be the culprit: Lepomis macrochirus x L. cyanellus, or in English, the Bluegill-Green Sunfish Hybrid. The link below will take you to the picture; I will also try to attach a photo of one of these little buggers and the identifying drawing to this thread. If it doen't go, check my photo gallery. www.fosc.org/FishList.htm

I don't know the significance of this development in Pass Lake. Last year I found one dead panfish of some sort up in the reeds, but this is the first time in over ten years that I have encountered anything other than rainbows or browns in Pass, and it is disturbing. Perhaps a biologist in our midst can shed some light on these circumstances.

Happiness is a tight line.

2. wet line

wet line New Member

Just to be certain I checked the regs,what a novel idea, and for Pass all species are C&R and flyfishing only.

If I understand this correctly the intentional killing of ANY fish would be illegal.

Any thoughts about this?

Dave

3. flylikeIdo

flylikeIdo Member

Its only illegal if you get caught.

People back home chuck 10 lb whitefish on the banks because they like to fish for trout, the whitefish were there first but that doesnt seem to matter. I dont kill any fish I dont plan on eating but if killing a few sunfish makes you feel better then keep killing them but remember you cant kill them all.

4. cwbraue

cwbraue Member

Media:
    Wouldn't young panfish be a baitfish for the trout? Or are they too spiny for them?

5. wet line

wet line New Member

If it is illegal to intentionally kill a fish it is always illegal whether you are caught or not!!! To advocate oherwise is totally irresponsible.

The pan fish fry are certainly a part of the larger trouts diet in any lake they occur. It is possible they were legally introduced specifically for a food supply for the big browns and bows. A person can check with the regional biologist and find out if that is the situation.

Dave

6. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Media:
    Home Page:
    Dude...where are u catching 10lb whitefish? thats 4lbs 4oz over the current world record.

Peace,
    Andy

7. Longs for Cutts

Longs for Cutts Member

Media:
    Those green sunfish need to be reported. They have far larger mouths than a normal bluegill and so compete with larger native fish to a much greater degree. They're a big problem back east in places they're not supposed to be, because they get in and compete with bass and crappie a lot more than the bluegill do.

8. Wimpywade94

Wimpywade94 New Member

GET'M ANDY!

wade

9. wet line

wet line New Member

Aaron and anyone else that fishes Pass Lake, I don't and have my own kettle of fish to sort out right now.

Call the biologist and find out if the gills were introduced legally and if the biologist feels it is a problem. If you want the right answer go to the source.

Public opinion is generally uninformed on many issues.

DO NOT go out and routinely kill every pan fish you catch. It is a C&R fishery and that means everything in the lake. Maybe you don't like the "gills' but I will tell you for certain that I am totally opposed to Browns and Trips!!! Because I am not in favor of these fish do I have the right to kill everyone I catch in a C&R water?

Dave

10. silver

silver south paw

Media:
    how'd he fight?

11. wet line

wet line New Member

How they fight has nothing to do with anything! Sculpins are a primary food source in most lakes and they don't fight at all! If you catch a leach it feels like nothing but is invaluable to the fish.

A good fisherman learns what a system is composed of and sometimes there are species that seem totally against the grain but in turn they are extremely necessary for the well being of the species we target for our pleasure.

All ecosystems are extemely complex and that is why one goes to fisheries biologist and ask the right questions. There are some surprising answers!

Myself I figure that part of the money I pay out each year is also a pass to talk with the guys in the know.

Dave

12. silver

silver south paw

Media:
    actually wet line :ray1: for someone who is 1)curious & 2) has somewhat of a sense of humor, it is a perfectly good question and has everthing to do with anything... or something like that

13. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Media:
    Home Page:
    WetLine... iagree with you as do most others on this board..but dude, chill-out....you are going to blow a gasket! :eek: This issue must be one real touchy-touchy for you?

Other than FlyLikeIDo, no one has advocated the wholesale slaughter of those little fishes, and I kinda' think his comment was a bit "tounge-in cheek" ?

If anyone should happen to call one of the states experts, you know the guys who have managed our fish resources so wonderfully so far, it may be interesting to hear what the "offical" response to the spiny-rays in Pass Lake would be. On the other hand I hope they won't need to "fix" the situation in the usual way, you know, POISON :mad:

LB

14. Randy Knapp

Randy Knapp Active Member

Hey, the little guys wiggle don't they?

Randy

15. Jim Kerr

Jim Kerr Active Member

Media:
    Who cares how those little greens fight. Lets talk more about TEN POUND WHITE FISH
    Jim

16. aaron j

aaron j Member

Media:
    They actually fought well for their size. That is not the point. I did not say anything about killing them; I only wanted to open the discussion about their impact on the lake's ecosystem. It is true that German Browns and most probably rainbows (obviously triploids) were introduced to Pass Lake. Even Atlantic Salmon once were in the mix. That said, the lake is managed as a catch and release fishery for trout. We all pay for this quality fishery, whether in taxes that supplement the WSDFW, fishing licenses, or boat lauch fees. If an introduced species, intentional, legal or otherwise, has a detrimental effect on this fishery, then it is a concern to all who use it and manage it. Yes, the lake was there long before we were, and the species living in it were most likely different than they are now. But we Humans are a meddling lot, and We have decided to make this one of our little flyfishing playgrounds. Whatever the outcome, an increasing population of sunfish will change the makeup of Pass Lake. It is for us and the WSDFW to determine if this desirable.

Happiness is a tight line, no matter who's pulling on the other end.

17. WT

WT Member

It's important to pick your battles. In this instance I find it difficult to stand up for the sunfish.
    WT

18. troutfanatic

troutfanatic A day not spent wasted is.....wasted.

iagree Well said. I agree with an active role from us and the Wsdfw.