Upgrading my fly outfit

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Kevin Fee, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Kevin Fee

Kevin Fee BUY THE TICKET....TAKE THE RIDE

Hey guys,

I haven't posted here many times, but I've been checking out this site for awhile. I am thinking that this season, I would like to start out with a new fly rig.

Right now, and for the past few years, I have been using a beginner-level Cortand rod, and a cheapo Eagle Claw reel. I am in the market for a mid-level rod/reel that I can use for a long time.

I am looking for a 5wt 9' rod, with a decent, machined reel, that I can use for trout and the occasional bass in lakes and rivers. I have been checking out deals online, and I have found some viable options. Orvis has a deal on their Access series rod/reel combo for $550, and their Clear Water series for $250. Both deals include rod/reel/line/backing/tube.

Red's Fly Shop has a deal on a Redington Classic Trout rod/Redington Drift reel/line, plus extras like flies and nippers. Their price is $320 for the package.

Do you guys have experience/preference with any of these outfits? Am I missing a rod here that I should be looking at?

Any advice would be awesome. Thanks!

2. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    Any rod you are looking at buying you should cast first. Take your current rod and try the two of them side by side.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  3. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

Hate to burst your bubble but you are turning to the "dark side"....no matter what rod you select, after a while you will find a new rod that you like just a little bit better and your collection will start to grow. I have more rods than I should but still can't tell you which one I like the best. Heck, I even have some fiberglass rods that I still use because I like the feel. Maybe you'll get lucky and find "the one" but I doubt it. Just keep trying out new rods and quit trying to find one that you will like for a "long time"....they all last a long time!

Krusty, Lex Story and Kent Lufkin like this.
  4. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    I see youre in mt lake terrace. You should go to Avid angler and get some solid advice and a chance to look at the rods in person, put different reels on to see what balance you like and such. plus I dont think the internet will go out of business, but we need to support our local shops more if we want them to be there. plus, I've never got fishing pointers from orvis online but I do like to pick the brains of the guys in the shop while I look at or buy new setups.

Don Freeman likes this.
  5. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    I love my Redington Classic Trout rods. For river fishing, especially dries the CT has got to be the best deal out there. I've caught bass on both the 2wt and the 4wt, but I have to use light trout type flies, and a sort of slow, stealthy presentation. I like that style, but I also like the big bugs, and for that I go with a faster 6wt (many guys use a 7 or 8).

I've tried the Access and liked it, but don't own one. The 5wt tip flex model would probably be the most versatile of the rods you mentioned. They have a new $100 machined reel that would be nice with it. The staff at Orvis in Bellevue is beginner friendly.

By all means go to the Avid Angler like Pat suggested. It's in the Lake Forest Mall, but it's a serious shop.

6. Derek Dahms

Derek Dahms Member

As a fairly new fly fisherman , I started with a Redington CPS 9 ft. 5 wt . At the time I really didn't know much about it. Turned out to be a pretty good rod with good fast action. I put a S/A GPX 5 wt line on it , which later was switched out for a 6 wt expert distance line, then it came to life. I think you would be fine with a nice redington , and like you mentioned to the Orvis Clearwater is a good looking rod , haven't had a chance to cast it though ! Try and cast a few at the shops and see what feels the best. I like a medium/ fast rod , but some people don't !!!

7. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

The CPS is a terrific rod for the price. Problem is, they discontinued that line about three years ago and replaced it with the CPX which has since been repolaced because it was a bust, overall. Take the advice and go to the Avid Angler. Try some rods out and then make a decision. Buy the best you can afford. If you're close, make due until you can buy something better. It's better to replace something once with rather than taking small steps up; cheaper in the long run and you may not get frustrated looking around. Spend the time fishing.

8. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Have the CT/Drift in an 8' for 4 weight and like it with the Rio Trout DT. Also tried the Clearwater in a 9' for 5 weight that I thought was decent; at $250 with a decent reel and line it's a good deal as I believe the Clearwater was about $295 MSRP. You may want to look at the link to the Yellowstone Angler's 5 weight shootout posted on the forum, there's some good rods out there and I was intrigued by their comments on the Mystic Reaper (at the end), that while not included in the test, appears to be a very impressive rod for $199. http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/ge...om-morgan-sage-circa-orvis-helios-2-greys-xf2

9. scottybs

scottybs Active Member

Home Page:
    My $.02, go with an American made rod! Some great rods out there!

10. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    I agree! If you can afford it go American. Of the rods on your list the Access the only one. Others include the St. Croix Imperial at $200, or the Sage Approach at $300.

11. chief

chief Active Member

I am not a big fan of "outfits". There may be some good packages out there, but I have found that they usually have a weak link, with a lesser quality rod, reel, or line in the mix. I would encourage you to work with your local shop to find a rod you like, then match the line to it, and then select a reel that balances with the rod.

Krusty and formerguide like this.
  12. Eric Denny

Eric Denny Summer is over but I'm still fishing!!

Boy you never lied there I started out with a cheap oh that my mom got me for a birthday present, now I got 4 and caught my self looking at the shoot out to see what my next rod would be.lol And thats not counting all the flies and SA Shark skin line I have on my rigs.lo But you should just start doing drugs it will be cheaper.;) But on the serious side there are some pretty good rod's you can get are you looking for new or used? Ebay is a good spot but I would only do that after you have been to a fly shop to get a idea what you like. I agree with chief on not getting a kit but with that being said its not going to be easy to get everything you want for 250$ Good luck you can also check out the classifieds on here and see what you can find. you also might want to give a little more idea of what your lookingfor. I.E. wt. size?

13. Kevin Fee

Right on!

Thanks for all of the replies and input, guys! My plan is to go cast some rods this weekend. I actually took casting lessons at Avid Angler a few years back when I first got into fly fishing, and it is a great store. I will go there, and the Bellevue Orvis store, and see what feels best. I would like to get an American-made rod if I can, but I will have to see if the price is right.

I am also kind of torn about maybe moving up to a faster, tip-flex rod, as one of my coworkers says it was a nice change for him. I guess I will be able to tell that through casting rods this weekend as well.

Thanks again for all of the feedback. I will post a reply when I pick something new up.

-Kevin

14. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

15. wichaka

wichaka Active Member

I've cast some Redington CT's and have their Drift reels in a few sizes...you won't be disappointed with that set up.

16. Kevin Fee

I know it's been awhile, but I have finally upgraded my fly rod/reel. After researching a number of different options, I decided to go with a 6 wt tip flex Orvis Access. It is sweet! Lightweight and casts awesome. I got it with an Access reel, which is also pretty rad. Nice drag, and anodized.

This setup was supposed to come with Access line, but they were out, so they upgraded me to the Hydros line for free! The guys at the Bellevue Orvis store were pretty cool. That was my first time there, and after my experience buying this rod, I plan to be a customer there for a long time.

Thanks again for the feedback, guys. I am stoked!

-Kevin

17. dfl

dfl Active Member

I've bought more than a few "better" rods since I paid $125 for my first St. Croix 9' 5 wt. but none of them have me catching more fish or casting further.

Old Man likes this.
  18. Kevin Fee

Ha! right on, dude. I kinda just wanted something new. Maybe it's the extra confidence that a new tool instills in a person, but I feel pretty good casting with this rod. I can feel it load much easier. Either way, it's fun to fish with.

-Kevin

Stew McLeod likes this.
  19. Eric Denny

Eric Denny Summer is over but I'm still fishing!!

Well Kevin thats all that matters!!

20. Redington has some good chit for the price