Upland bird hunting around Spokane

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Matt Hutch, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Matt Hutch

Matt Hutch Member

Hey guys,
    I'm just looking for a little advice on where to go to do some hunting around here. I'm in college in Spokane and this is my second year so I don't really know the area very well but I do know a little bit. I grew up hunting pheasant and quail in Kansas so I've never hunted grouse or chukar, but I would like to give it a shot. It seems like I see plenty of grouse when I'm out fishing and hiking but a lot of the places where I fish are not open to hunting. I heard that the area just north of Spokane can be really good so I might go up there one weekend. I'm also willing to go to northern Idaho if there's easier access over there. Me and a couple buddies are trying to plan a weekend camping/hunting trip sometime in October so I'd love to find an area that would be nice to camp at and also has some decent places to hunt nearby. From what I've gathered it sounds like grouse aren't too tough, you just have to walk around in the right places and flush them just like quail or pheasants. A couple older guys were telling me that the easiest way to find them is to walk old logging roads or trails, and I was also told that if I could find some good food sources then those would be good places to hit as well. But right now I'm more concerned with finding a place to go than I am with figuring out how to hunt grouse. And honestly I'm not too concerned with shooting my limit every time I go out, I'd be happy just to go hike around in the woods and if I shoot a bird or two then great. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

USFS land is open to hunting, except campgrounds, also not good PR to shoot very close to the camp grounds even if it is not against the law.
    BLM land also open to hunting, again except campgrounds, and same as above.
    State land is open to hunting, again same as above.
    You will need to get three different maps, USFS, BLM, and State.
    You may find private timber lands in a checker board pattern on your maps, contact the timber Co. or land owner to make sure you can hunt on the property.
    Sometime the local sporting goods store/fly shops, local guides, etc. can be helpful.
    Happy blasting & casting.
    O'ya welcome aboard.

3. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Excellent response Gary.

4. Matt Hutch

Matt Hutch Member

Thanks Gary. Looks like I'll have to make a trip to the map store.

5. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

While you're on your way to the map store, stop by BLM on Fancher, and then swing by WDFW out toward Silver Bow Fly shop.

And don't get discouraged if you don't see any pheasants, June rain drowned most of 'em.

And No sharptails.